Meet the idiots- er, I mean the VKs

(I call them idiots lovingly)

Melanie's POV:

I exit Ursula's Fish'n'Chips and walk into the busy street.  I dodge around the people bustling about the market, pickpocketing a few along the way.  I sneak out and over the hill, towards my living quarters.  As I descend the hill, I can't help but frown... my living quarters.  A small, dusty place on an island full of miscreants and sinners, mortals.  As the daughter of Hades, I should be running the underworld with him, instead of stuck on this godforsaken island.

"Mel!"  I hear a voice say to my left.  "You got the goods?"

It's Cecil Facilier, son of Dr. Facilier, the voodoo man himself.

"Right here." I drop the to-go bag in his hands, an order of tilapia.  "I'd say you owe me one, but you saved my butt last week, so we'll call it even."

"Yeah, sure.  You seen Evan?"

"Right here, knuckleheads," a boy says.  Evan Grimhilde, to be exact, the pompous son of the Evil Queen.  Just like his mother.

"Perfect.  I believe this belongs to you."  Cecil tosses Evan a silver watch.

"You found it!  Where?"

"Grabbed it out of some guy's pocket.  I was gonna pawn it off but realized you might kill me if you ever found out."

"Damn right, I would've.  Thanks, Slick."

After a couple minutes, a we hear a bunch of noise from the square.  We go to investigate.  In the middle of the square, a theres a limo.  A man standing by the limo speaks up. 

"As decreed by Crown Princesses Eden and Alexandria of Auradon, four children of the Isle have been chosen to attend Auradon Prep.  These children are...  Evan Grimhilde, son of the Evil Queen; Cecil Facilier, son of Dr. Facilier; Melanie, daughter of Hades; and-" the man gulps- "Hecate, daughter of Maleficent."

The people gasp at the news.  Maleficent, across the crowd, smiles and turns around, heading back towards her castle, as people make way for her.

After a moment of shock, the three of us are pointed out and brought forward towards the limo.  We stand there awkwardly for a minute, quietly whispering among ourselves.  

Murmers start through the crowd and Maleficent makes her way back through the crowd, with someone in tow; Hecate, probably.  Maleficent talks to her daughter for a minute before she disappears back into the crowd, and her daughter steps forward.

After our few belongings(not that we had packed, just our normal bags we had on us) were put into the trunk, the man from earlier opens the limo door, letting us in.  Hecate sits on the far side, squished in the corner.  She looks out the window silently, not even sparing us a glance.

What a prick.

Hecate's POV:

On a normal day, I might've been reading mother's old spellbook, trying to memorize spells, knowing I would never use them, but just in case.  But today, something was off.  Something in the air told me I should be paying attention.

I start thinking about what it could be.  There might be guards coming by for another food or supply dropoff, but that happens often, so I don't see how that would affect anything.  The guards could be doing a mandatory check, rounding up any contraband, like any still-existing magic items.

I started packing all of my magic items in a small bag, and hiding them under my bed, just in case the latter was true.  I look out my window and see a bunch of people crowding towards the main square.  I prepare another, larger bag, just in case I have to make a break for it and hide for a couple days.  Suddenly, the crowd parts, which can only mean one of two things.  Auradonian Guards, or my mother, Maleficent.  The latter is true, and I see my mother stalking through the crowd, heading back towards the castle.  She enters and I hear her coming up the stairs towards my room.  I pretend to be doing something else, so she doesn't assume I was spying on her.

She opens my door.  "Hecate."

"Yes, mother?"

"Listen to me, and listen well.  There has been an order from the Crown of Auradon.  You are to be transferred off of the Isle, and will be attending Auradon Prep.  You-"

"WHAT?!"

"QUIET, child.  I know this is sudden dear, but I have a task for you.  You will steal the Fairy Godmother's Wand, and you will free me.  Got it?"

"But-"

"Got. It?"

"Yes, mother."

"Good.  Now pack a few things.  You leave today."  She leaves my room, closing the door behind her.

"Today?!"  I mumble under my breath, shocked.  I'm going to Auradon!  I'm getting off of this stupid island!  But I'm going to Auradon.  With all the royals.  Ew.  

I pack a few more clothes and other items in the bag, along with my book bag inside of the larger bag as well.

I brush out my hair and pull it into a long braid.  I grab my necklaces off my nightstand and head downstairs.  My mother meets me by the door.

"Appearances, Hecate.  Hold your head high, walk with grace."  My mother gives me a glare.

"Yes, mother."  I fix my posture and follow closely behind her, trying not to stare at the people we pass.

I get odd stares, as I don't venture outside much.

We approach a limo, and I see three other teens standing by the limo.

"Now be good, Hecate."  Bad, she means.  Be bad.

"Bye, mom."

A man dressed in a black suit opens the back door of the limo, and the four of us climb in.  The other three talk amongst themselves.  I sit as far away from them as I can, staring out the window, holding my arms, and bouncing my leg.  I'm very nervous.

The limo starts moving.  It approached the border, which magically opens, a glittery bridge appears as the limo moves forward, scaring me half to death that we might just topple off the end.  

As the limo approaches what I assume is Auradon Prep, I start to hear band music.

Oh, boy.

--------------------------

Word Count: 1000

I really had fun writing this chapter.  Next chapter, the royals meet the VK's.

I can't wait!

- Rin