"In the Wind" November 8th, 1980. Entry 1. (REWRITTEN!)

Entry 1 of the logbook.
————————————————————————
7:52 PM.

If you are reading this, then this is the journal of the Kirk Ronan Signalman. John L. Roberts.

I am the signalman at the Kirk Ronan Overhead Signal Gantry. I am 38 years of age and I have a son and a wife back home at Kellsthorpe. Since I lost my old logbook, the railway has provided me with another one for personal use to log the trains that come by. I first started working here in April of 1974. But before that, I first started as a casual worker that did odd jobs around the railway. I've always loved trains and was overjoyed when I got the job.

Anyways, There is not enough time for me to write much else about myself. I'll start logging the trains that come through tomorrow.

————————————————————————
The next day, at 8:00 AM.

I clocked in at 8:00 AM Just as Alfred left the signal box. My colleagues Arthur Pierce was inside enjoying a hot cup of morning Coffee. Jerome was also there. He was talking on the phone with someone I couldn't hear. It was not my concern anyways. At 9:20 A goods train passed through the Junction and was bound for the Harbour.

————————————————————————

10:21 AM

Nothing much has happened so far. Apart from a local departing from Rolf's Castle and making its way to Crovan's Gate.

————————————————————————

10:43 AM

As I started to get a little peckish, I asked Arthur to cover for me as I got some lunch. He agreed and I quickly left the signal box. Not long after I returned with a few bags of M.C. Bunns. We all took a quick break and enjoyed some of the delicious cinnamon buns and some buttered toast. It was quite delicious.

————————————————————————

11:21 AM

Still a rather empty day. We spotted Duck heading down the line towards Tidmouth, with a line of some loaded trucks. The train did look rather long and he seemed like he was straining pitifully. I can only wish him the best of luck on his journey.

————————————————————————

12:01 PM

James just passed through with another loaded goods train. Even though he could not hear the engine we could tell by his expression he was grumbling dreadfully. Glad I'm in here and not with his crew.

Jerome near this time packed up his things and left for home. Soon, bloody Richard came in to fill the spot. God, I hate that guy. He's extremely irritating.

————————————————————————

2:56 PM

We saw the express flew by us and towards Vicarstown just now. The engine that was pulling the train like always, was Gordon. The coaches chimed happily behind him as they slipped behind the verdure and out of view.

————————————————————————
3:12 PM; End of the Shift.

I know I am not supposed to use this book outside of my job. Nevertheless, as I got home I found Julie staring blankly at the television set. When I peered to look at the screen, I also found myself entranced by what was on. It was the News. The headline above red stood out, "Old Laboratory caves in! " The footage was inside a news helicopter. The camera men had already angled the camera down into a gaping void of a collapsed building seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

The Chopper crew seemed to notice something that was slowly coming out of the hole in the roof. Not long after the Camera operator picked it up too, zoomed in and filmed this.. How do I describe it? A red mist slowly fading out of the facility. It started in wisps of a light red smoke, and slowly rose up and took form as a mushroom cloud like shape. Before I could look more, Harry had come down stairs for me to tuck him in. I quickly hid him from the television and put him to bed. I hope he hadn't seen anything on the set.
But one thing is for sure.

I'm not sleeping tonight.