Chapter Two

A/N: Hi guys, I couldn't believe how much people have enjoyed this story already! I had the next two chapters drafted and finished so here we go! Just for a heads up, Cosmo doesn't exist in this story (Well...maybe not yet) and Colin is Rose's dad for simplicity! Hope you enjoy!

The small dysfunctional family stood in the airport, as others flittered by without so much as a glance

"How about I take your bag?" Colin raised his hand to take the backpack and suitcase, but Ella immediately jumped back, as if lightning had struck her. Her blank face had a flicker of something else, before returning to its original state. Scarlett stared at her daughter's sudden movement with a worrying feeling in her stomach. But Ella gave no explanation; she just held her bags tightly and soon followed them, silently, from the gate to where they'd parked the car.

Scarlett watched every move Ella took, from placing her suitcase and backpack in the trunk, to the way she climbed into the back of their car.

"All buckled in, sweetie?" She turned and looked back as Colin started the engine. But Ella was just looking out the window, avoiding Scarlett's gaze. The gnawing feeling in her gut was telling her something was wrong.

The ride was long, and the only sounds was a small conversation between Colin and Scarlett, and the outside New York traffic. Ella stared out the window at the city before her; it was definitely not London. Nothing was the same as home, not even something small to give her some comfort. She truly had landed on an alien planet, another dimension even.

She was aware of Scarlett casting looks back at her, but she didn't meet the woman's gaze, she continued to study the city. She could barely remember the last time she was here, it was so long ago. She knew she flew out to meet her baby sister and it was one of the few times she actually met Scarlett. But she couldn't remember much of the time here. Just some strange feelings that she wasn't sure of, so buried them down. Afterall, her dad had told her about the visits, if she couldn't remember, and she understood why she didn't want to.

"Are you hungry, baby? We've got food at home but we could get something now if you're hungry? A burger maybe?" Scarlett tried, aware she hadn't even heard Ella speak yet. She was shy when she was little, but weren't all small children shy with strangers?

Strangers

The word spun in her head; she was virtually a stranger to her daughter. Her heart sank as the realisation played out before her. Ella didn't answer her question, and Scarlett turned to look out the front of the car. Colin's hand reached over and gave hers a squeeze.

The last time she'd spoken face to face to Ella must have been several years ago. Maybe her seventh? No her eighth birthday, over Facetime. God knows how much begging she had to do to Tony for just that. Even then it had been a fleeting conversation, with Tony stating that it was Ella's bedtime, despite being far too early. Tony had threatened to get lawyers involved if she turned up on his doorstep again, as she did on her fourth birthday.

After that it was simply birthday cards and a present, posted special delivery on the same day so it would arrive in time. She was forced to guess what the girl liked; was she a doll kind of girl, athletic, imaginative? Did she draw, sing, dance, do karate? She knew none of this, and every year she made a guess and hoped to god it was appreciated. Birthday and Christmas cards and gifts where the only way she could communicate with Ella; a polite thank you note arriving at her door a week or two later. Scarlett still had everyone in her nightstand with Ella's baby book, which remained unfinished. It broke her heart whenever she opened it.

Every year since then, Tony managed to find any excuse as to why Ella couldn't come to the phone; It's her birthday party, she's busy; she's sick in bed; she's with a friend; she doesn't want to talk to you.