Chapter Eight

They had returned home, and Colin headed straight to the kitchen. Ella could hear movement, and presumed Scarlett was there, so she turned and headed into the living room. It was a warm room, with the sunlight pouring in. A large fireplace with a TV above, a large comfy sofa with throws and scatter cushions. The room just made you feel relaxed. Ella was looking at the assortment of knick-knacks on show when Colin came in, iPad in his hand.

"Knew I had one somewhere," Colin smiled as he linked the iPad to the speaker system. Soon, the living room was full of the hum of music, and Ella couldn't help but smile. Colin handed her the tablet, which she wearily took and began to scroll through the playlist. If Colin could wear his emotions on the outside, he'd be dancing right now as Ella engaged with him.

"Right, I've gotta head to the office for a bit. Scarlett's in her office if you need anything..." Ella rolled her eyes, knowing she would not be asking Scarlett for anything. "...so enjoy, Kiddo."

"Bye." Ella whispered, just not loud enough for Colin to hear as he left. Glancing around, and realising she had full reign of the room, Ella turned the music up slightly. She placed the tablet down, and looked around the living room again.

In her office, Scarlett was trying to focus on the meeting, her earphones in, but couldn't focus. She managed to nod at the right points for the time she was stuck on the call, until she could exit. Sighing, she closed the window and leaned back. She closed her eyes as she listened to the music coming from the other side of the house. She really wanted to go into the living room and try again, but Ella had surprised them by coming out of her room this morning. She would ruin it if she tried, but her heart ached at the idea of doing nothing.

With another sigh, she rubbed her eyes before deciding to go and get a drink from the kitchen. She came out of the office and glanced down the hall. She could only just see the corner of the living room, but she smiled as Ella browsed the bookcase. She headed towards the kitchen and opened the fridge to get a bottle of water. She noticed the orange juice carton was empty – again, Colin, really? – and she carried it over to the trash under the furthest counter. When she lifted the lid, she saw the remains of a torn up pamphlet chucked in. Scarlett squeezed her eyes shut. Her mother had come round with some leaflets she got from her doctor's office, despite Scarlett demanding that Ella didn't need psychological help – she was hurting, but not broken.

But she'd read one of them, listing several possible symptoms and treatments plans. She hadn't meant to leave it out on the counter – she hadn't expected Ella to come out of her room. Scarlett bit her lip and she thought about, dropping the orange container in the trash. Rubbing her palms together in nerves, she turned around and decided to grab another bottle of water from the fridge.

Both in hand, she left the kitchen in the direction of the living room. Her heart fluttered in her chest, and she couldn't stop the smile at the sight of Ella. She lay on her front on the couch, her head was bobbing to the music, but her face was scrunched up and she silently mouthed the words of her book. Scarlett watched her, unnoticed for a moment, as Ella read. She was really trying to mouth the words and she wondered if she was struggling. Something seemed the slide into her head – should she enrol her in school? She never knew how long she would be here, and it would certainly get her out of the house, play with other kids. But a strong part of her wanted to be selfish and keep her out of school, her time with her baby was limited, and school would take up so much time and keep them apart.