Chapter Eleven

It had been a long time that she'd had such a peaceful sleep. Ella began to stir, as her body had fully recharged. Not happy with the idea of waking up yet, Ella snuggled further under her blanket, and tightened her grip on the pillow she was lying on top of. It was a strange pillow; the train of thought forcing her mind to awaken more. That's when she heard the soft humming, and felt the hand lightly scratching her scalp. She heard a light, soft thudding coming from the pillow, and Ella shifted, raising her head. She felt her insides twist as she realised she was still on the couch in the movie room, and had used Scarlett as a pillow, anchoring herself to the woman in her sleep. Scarlett wasn't looking at her; one hand was lightly scratching Ella's scalp, the other had her attention as she scrolled through her phone.

Ella couldn't believe that the best sleep of her life came from her hugging onto Scarlett as if she were smaller than Rose! There was no way for her to sneak away with Scarlett awake. But inside, part of her wanted to stay here, tucked up under the blanket with the woman.

Her thoughts must have been loud enough to hear, as Scarlett stopped scrolling on her phone and looked down at her chest; identical green eyes were staring up at her curiously, and she broke into a smile.

"Good morning bubs, did you sleep ok?" Scarlett ran her hand through Ella's hair and cupped her face. She'd only been awake less than an hour herself. She had woken on the couch, dazed and confused for a moment before she remembered movie night. She had looked down and felt her heart melt as Ella clung to her middle, nuzzling into her like she did when she was a baby. Scarlett had never felt so at peace, and so had no plans to wake her daughter up, instead continued to hold her.

Ella simply looked up at her, as if processing their predicament. She didn't know what to say, but could feel her face burning. Scarlett thought it was adorable how flustered she was getting, again like when she was small and was having a tantrum.

"It's ok, Ella." Scarlett stroked her hair. "You don't have to be embarrassed."

"I'm not embarrassed." Ella said, her face still red. Scarlett couldn't help but give out a little laugh. Ella scowled, but Scarlett saw the smallest smile.

"Was that a smile?"

"No!"

"Ah! It was!"

"Was not!" Ella pouted, and Scarlett smirked, before flipped them both over and she started to tickle her daughter.

Ella panicked at first at the attack and nearly screamed, until a laugh came out on instinct from the tickling.

"Admit it! You smiled!" Scarlett laughed as she continued the assault, tickling Ella under her arms and ribs, where she remembered her to be the most ticklish.

"No! I never!"

"Then suffer!" Scarlett smiled and tickled harder, leaning down and peppering her scrunched up little face with kisses. Ella's laughs were magical to her, and she smiled as she squirmed under her touch. As she tickled her, Ella's pyjama shirt rode up slightly, and Scarlett felt her insides drop at the sight of so many bruises around Ella's lower back, ribs, and stomach. She stopped the tickling immediately, afraid she'd hurt her daughter. It took a second for it to sink in that, the bruises were old, a few weeks as they were now starting to fade. But they must have hurt and have been dark when caused.

The last of Ella's laughs died when she saw the look on Scarlett's face. She glanced down and saw her lower abdomen exposed. Her face went from red to bloodless in seconds, and she tugged the top down before climbing off the sofa. Scarlett grabbed her and sat her back down, letting go when she saw the fear paint itself over her child's face.