Chapter 7: A Fault In the Code

"Well, someone is feeling extra studious this morning," Fawn chuckled, setting her tray of food down across from him and pulling out a mushroom to join the gathering table of fairies. Iridessa was close behind and Tink was near enough to overhear the animal-talent and give her guildmate a knowing smirk.

"Whatcha got there, Bobble?" Vidia teased, fluttering up behind him and dropping her plate beside Fawn's. "Deciding to become a reading-talent on your off-time, are you?"

He didn't look up to dignify her remark, pulling the book closer to his face and sinking further in his seat. A tray of muffins and eggs lay untouched in front of him but he didn't seem to have any intent to eat them.

"Hey," Tink greeted, plopping herself down beside him and pushing his plate closer. "Good morning! I take it you had a nice trip to the library?"

"Way too early this morning," Clank put in, popping up behind them, causing Rosetta and Sil to jump and scatter away from him as they too came to join the others. "Out the door like Fairy Mary was chasing 'im fo' something. Hasn't spoken a word since we got 'ere and won't touch 'is food either."

"Is he sick?" Silvermist whispered loudly into Rosetta's ear. The garden-talent leaned back and sighed. "He's acting like he might be sick."

"No, sweetpea," Rosetta explained patiently. "He's just readin' and doesn't want to be disturbed. Come on. Let's give him some space." She took the water-talent's arm and steered her to an open seat nearby.

"Oh, okay! Coming!"

Tink leaned over her guildmate's shoulder to peer at the cover of his book. "Fascinating topic?"

He didn't look up.

"Yoo-hoo." She waved a hand in front of his face. "Hey, you going to eat that muffin or just stare at it all day?"

He broke his concentration for just long enough to wave her hand away and mutter a nearly inaudible, "I'm not hungry. Ye can have it."

"Well, don't mind if I do!" Clank announced, reaching across and swiping the pastry from his tray before Tink even had a chance to blink. Bobble didn't protest, which she found very unusual. Typically he would be half a thought from strangling the sparrowman for so much as breathing near his food.

"Clank!" Rosetta scolded.

"What?" he exclaimed. "'e said 'e didn't want it! Besides, I've had to put up with 'im being like this all morning!"

"Oh for the Hollow's sake," the garden-talent groaned, snatching one of his muffins and sliding it onto Bobble's plate. "He needs to eat somethin' or he's gonna be nothing but skin and bone!"

Vidia snorted. "I think it's already too late for that, darling."

Rosetta looked like she wanted to retort, but a firm look from Tink discouraged her. She sighed and crossed her arms as her eyes, radiating with pity, drifted back to her friend once more.

"Hey," Tink tried again to distract him, reaching out and tugging the book down from his face, even as the tinker began to wilt at the girls' bickering. "Bobble, could you...look at us for a minute?"

He clung to the book more tightly, refusing to let her move it away from eye level.

Vidia frowned at him. "So, what's got you so in a huff today? Did Clank keep you up with his snoring again or are you just not a morning fairy in general?"

"Hey!" Clank protested indignantly. "I do not snore!"

"Ehhh, no, you really do," Fawn argued.