Chapter 18: One Last Time

"Well," Kyto growled, ducking his head at the entrance to the vined chasm of trees and overgrowth and allowing Bobble to scramble off. "This is it, fairy. The gateway to the Shrieking Silence. This is as far as we dragons are willing to go. Are you sure this is how you want your tale to end? I've warned you of the dangers that wait inside. Fairies enter, but none return. This road is a death wish. You must be absolutely sure this is what you really want before it's too late."

"It is," he answered firmly. "If Scarab's inside, I have to save her."

You are not the hero, the words rang in his ears. You are not the special one.

Not good enough.

Not the hero.

Not the Protector of anything.

What did that make him then? He couldn't be death. He wasn't Shade. He refused to be, for that would mean all of his best efforts would have been for naught, that no matter what he had done to prevent it, he was always going to be the problem, the mistake, the disaster Clarion had feared he would grow to become.

He's too much like Shade, she had telepathed once, before she had learned of his abilities. Too eager to fit in and too eager to please. Every day, he reminds me of him more and more. Perhaps Shade was right. Maybe it is too dangerous for tinkers to have magic after all.

And I'm scared.

Scared that I will lose another fairy to this darkness.

Scared that the Hollow will never accept him.

Scared that he will never find his place.

He'll become just like Shade, and this time, it will be all my fault.

No, no he had found his place. He had found fairies who accepted him, quirky magic and all, and now he had to prove himself worthy of their friendship. Terrence was right. He hadn't earned it. It didn't matter what he had done in the past; the summer on the mainland and the snowmaker amounted to nothing now. He'd hurt Tink and all those fairies with his fire, he had to stop it now before anyone else had to suffer.

Kyto huffed, drawing away from the entrance now, the golden gleam of his eyes flashing uneasily between the dark forest and the fairy below him. "Fairies," he snorted again. "It seems the stories are all true. You are exceptionally loyal creatures. I cannot understand it for dragons do not share this sentiment, however, I do know what it feels like to desire something. If I could, I would do anything to bring back my tribe. Go," he growled, tossing his head toward the darkness. "Save your friend. You spoke of being a hero. Perhaps that is exactly what Neverland needs right now. After all, you saved me, didn't you?"

Bobble smiled weakly. "I did," he agreed. At least he had done one good thing in the midst of complete chaos and despite Scorpion's warnings, he believed Kyto. The dragon was going to keep his word. The Hollow would be safe. Both sides had suffered long enough from the bitter rivalry. It was time fairies and dragons learned to live in peace. "Thank ye, Kyto. Thank ye for everythin'."

Kyto snorted. "Don't get used to it, sparrowman. I only upheld the end of my deal so I would not be in debt to you any longer than I was forced. I want nothing to do with your kind."