Chapter 21: Ninth Life

The ninth life is a myth related to cats; stating that the felines will come close to death a total of 8 times but will always survive by means that do not always make logical sense and are not always visible to the naked eye. Their 9th life is said to be the most valuable, the last chance for them to learn from their mistakes.

1. Crash-landing into a pile of sharp tools (Lost Treasure)

2. Falling out of the boat/ Lizzie's coat pocket (Great Fairy Rescue)

3. Landing in a thorn bush a good distance away from the others (GFR, the only one not to say whether or not he was okay when the others sounded off)

4. Cat (GFR)

5. Frost (Secret of the Wings), the last fairy (minus Tink) to run inside the tree (making sure that everyone was there first).

(According to some theories related to the original manuscript for that movie, Bobble was actually supposed to get hurt by the snowmaker and the frost invasion instead of Tink, only to be saved by true love (Tink, instead of matching wings with Peri) but the idea was scrapped for the sake of younger viewers).

6. Poppy poisoning (the only one of the group to succumb, the Pirate Fairy)

7. The battle for the Hollow, casting a Duality Spell for Tink (War of Talents--Culmination Book #1)

8. Choosing for Tink to save Terrence's life instead.

9...

____________________________________________________________________

When neither of them replied immediately, Bobble frowned, pushing himself up onto his elbows and fixing his gaze on them, waiting for one or the other to answer. They both shied away from the question, Terrence's face paler than a sheet and Tink with full-blown tears in her eyes. 

Great Neverland, what had happened while he was out?

Wait, how long had he been out?

"Guys?" he croaked, really not liking how neither of them would answer such a simple question. "What's...what's wron'?"

He waited once again, bracing himself for the worst news possible--that the Hollow was already destroyed, that everyone else was dead, that he'd failed everyone yet again. It had to be bad, that was the only explanation he could figure that would warrant such an awkward silence among friends.

What he didn't anticipate was the full-blown force of his guildmate lunging for him at a speed he had never seen her accomplish. Her arms were already around him before he could understand what she was doing dissolving into a hug so tight that he felt his lungs might burst. He wanted to make some kind of joke to lighten the mood; something about how he was always the one coming for the hugs, but all teasing flew away when he realized that she was sobbing.

And not just normal tears of relief or sadness, she was full-out bawling into his shoulder. Startled, he looked to Terrence for an explanation, but the dust-keeper looked like he felt just as concerned as his girlfriend. 

"Y-you're okay," Tink hiccuped, sounding very unTink-like. "Thank the Hollow you're really okay!"

"Uh...aye? Should I...not be?" He was so confused. The last thing he could remember was Shade trying to use the bracelets against him...and then Tink and Terrence had shown up out of nowhere...and that...after that everything was a jumbled mess. Had they won? Were the bracelets safe? Why couldn't he remember anything?