Chapter 12: If At First You Don't Succeed

The following morning, the fairies parted ways, silently branching off into their predetermined parties and, after a heartfelt farewell to Tink (whom Scarab insisted should remain in the Haven for her own protection), the first group headed in the direction of Spring.

Silvermist took the lead on this venture, nimbly darting on ahead of Rosetta. The garden-talent, however, carried the clue, riddled and scratched on a small leaflet for the girls to uncover.

"I can't tell you where the bracelets lie," the older Protector had explained when confronted about her cryptic choice of aid. "Queen Starlight made me swear under oath that I would never tell another fairy the location to any of them. Here," she'd added, handing them the note. "Use this clue. Solve it and it will reveal itself to you."

"Wow, how very cryptic and not-at-all helpful of you," Vidia snarked. "Why are we not even slightly surprised?"

"I warned you that it would not be easy," Scarab replied, not at all fazed by her sharp tongue. "You are not the first to seek something that has no business being in the hands of a group of non-talented. I gave them all the same challenge, but they could not live up to their oaths. Do you think you can do better?"

"We will," Rosetta answered, giving Bobble a meaningful look. "We have to."

"And you're sure you'll be okay here?" Dessa asked, glancing back to Tink as the blond watched her friends prepare to leave.

"I'll be fine," she promised. "Go get 'em, you guys."

"I'll protect her," Terence promised, sitting down next to her and squaring his shoulders confidently.

"You'll protect me?" Tink scoffed. "You're delusional. I'm going to be the one protecting you."

"Ugh, lovebirds," Vidia groaned, rolling her eyes and snatching the riddled clue from Scarab's outstretched hand. "I'll see you all later. Last one back with their bracelet is a rotten egg." And with that, she shot off through the door and disappeared into the forest beyond.

"Hey, that's not fair!" Sil protested. "She can fly faster than us!"

"Well, we'd better get moving then too," Fawn exclaimed, slinging one of the group's spare backpacks over her shoulders and grabbing her walking stick. "We've got a lot of ground to cover and it's gonna be nightfall soon."

"Oh, goodie," Rosetta sighed, trudging after her. "Nighttime. My favorite time of the day."

Fawn, not one to miss an opportunity to send back a strong retort, snickered. "Oh, good! So, you'll have no objection to looking all night, then?"

The garden-talent sighed, taking her clue from the Protector as well and starting toward the door. "Come on, guys, no more messing around. We've got a spring bracelet to find."

Sil and Clank quickly followed her and the others filed out shortly after.

Silvermist quickly took the lead over her group, zipping back across the uncharted forests and into Springtime Square. Nothing seemed out of place to her, and she should know, having spent a good portion of her time either training with the other water-talents or exploring alongside the riverbeds. The Babbling Brook gurgled as they passed and multiple tadpoles glanced their way, large eyes brimming with curiosity, but there was no time for her to stop and talk with them now. They were on a mission. This was serious.

"So, where do you think this weapon of mass destruction could be hidden?" Rosetta called above the whistling of the wind in the trees.

"No idea!" Clank shouted back, "but we need to find it soon!"