Chapter 21

Robin ended up selecting a movie at random, a film noir, Double Indemnity.

Eddie found it interesting enough, but he was more focused on Steve than the movie, mostly because he was sitting beside him.

Robin had opted to sit on the carpet in front of the television, so it was just him and Steve on the couch, separated by the middle.

Steve has his feet kicked up on the coffee table and Eddie was lying sideway, legs slung over the arm of the chair.

Every so often Robin looked back at him, failing miserably at acting subtle about it, and she widened her eyes every time.

He knew what she meant.

Steve Harrington.

He leaned over and flicked her ear in retort.

She swivelled around to him again, a mocking pout on her face.

Fuck you, he mouthed with a grin.

She smiled sweetly at him and then mouthed, how about Steve instead?

There immediately came a scoff from beside him and Robin closed her mouth abruptly, before turning to face the screen again with an apologetic flush to her face.

Eddie froze.

Then a finger tapped his shoulder and he looked over at Steve, who's gaze flicked between Robin and him with a raised eyebrow.

The silent question: what the fuck was that about?

Eddie resolutely shook his head, mouth in a grim line, and pushed down the embarrassment that burned against his skin.

He turned his eyes to the film again, but as he did so, Steve slid over and filled his space.

One look confirmed that he had a stupid, stubborn grin on his face and Eddie prepared himself for the worst.

Steve leaned closer to his ear, until his breath was hot against skin.

"It looks like Robin wants you to fuck me," he began simply.

Eddie didn't like how much his whisper made his stomach twirl.

"Sorry about that," he whispered back, channeling indifference.

Steve's grin widened.

"Well, I never said I was offended."

He rested his chin lazily on Eddie's shoulder.

At the touch, Eddie had to stop himself from jolting back sharply.

If breath on skin was too much, then actual contact, soft and golden, was next to unbearable.

He twisted his rings.

"I'm dead serious," Steve continued in a murmur.

He sounded like he was about to say something else, but then Robin shifted and they both stilled for a moment.

Seconds later, Steve's fingers wrapped around Eddie's wrist, just as the main character of the film fired a shot.

"Stop," Eddie said quietly. "This can't happen."

He shrugged off Steve's touch and stood up.

Robin looked up questioningly, hand reaching for the remote on the coffee table.

"No, don't pause it," he said quickly. "I'm just going to the bathroom."

"Are you sure?" she asked, a concerned squint in her eyes. "We can wait."

He shifted uncomfortably between his feet.

"That's okay. I won't be very long."

Steve was quiet beside him.

Robin reluctantly nodded.

"Well, you know where it is."

"Yes."

He walked around the table and disappeared down the hallway, breathing faster and faster until he had to stop and lean against the wall outside of the kitchen. He could see the edges of his vision clouding over already and the sounds of the movie crackled out of his consciousness.

Heaving slightly, he moved to shuffle blindly over to Robin's dining table, clutching at his chest and exhaling through his mouth.

He could almost still feel the imprint of Steve's chin in his shoulder, an aching loss, but all that he could think about were Chrissy's blank eyes.

Eddie had told a few people about his panic attacks, but no one knew what they caused him to remember.

That was his secret.

The night in his trailer, spending the last minutes of time that Chrissy would ever have, and her broken body.

Anything could cause the terror to take over, from a word to a movement to a touch, smile, or whisper.

He forced himself not to cry, usually, unless he knew that no one would find him.

Since Robin and Steve were just a room away, he squeezed his eyes shut and kept stumbling forwards.

There was a dull strain running from his collarbone to his jaw and his hands shook against his clothes.

"Eddie?"

Steve's voice echoed from somewhere nearby.