Chapter 28

After a few minutes of contemplation, Eddie stopped looking to the tiles for inspiration and instead, he let his gaze wander over Steve, long and quiet.

Particular notice was payed to the other boy's mouth.

Steve stared right back at him, hardly blinking, and every so often, his tongue licked across his bottom lip, unconsciously done.

Sort of hypnotized by the action, Eddie instinctively lifted his own hand to his own mouth and brushed his finger against lip.

He did it instead of reaching out to graze Steve's jaw.

He was trying.

"I'd never kissed a boy until you kissed me." The lightest whisper.

Steve smiled, a lopsided thing.

"You were my first too."

A pause.

Then, "I hope you didn't mind it."

"Never."

Eddie grinned as he said the word.

Steve looked shyly embarrassed.

"Look out the window," he distracted quietly.

Eddie craned his neck to look behind himself.

The sky was warm grey.

The trees were golden topped.

If he had been standing outside, Eddie was sure that his breath would have fogged as it left his body.

Like cigarette smoke.

He suddenly found that he couldn't stop picturing Steve with a joint lazy between his lips.

Sometimes his thoughts ran wild.

And it was cold.

He wished that he had a sweater, but instead, he hugged his arms around himself, rounding his shoulder blades into the bathtub.

Meanwhile, Steve was wearing a giant sweater that looked like it belonged to his grandfather or something.

"Fancy sharing?" Eddie found himself asking, tapping his foot along the hem of the article, letting another grin tickle against his ears.

He knew that Steve wouldn't be able to resist.

Just as he expected, the boy slipped beside him without a word and wrapped his arms around Eddie, tugging him towards his chest.

"Much better," Eddie mumbled, all at once warm and glowing against Harrington's body.

"What about getting to know each other?" Steve murmured.

"That's what this is, darling."

Eddie's voice tangled against the final word.

"If you want..." Steve trailed off.

"Yes," Eddie agreed immediately.

The other boy slouched similarly and leaned his head against Eddie's own.

"Perfect."

The word slipped out of Eddie's mouth like a sigh.

He fell into the embrace, drowned in it, hugged it back.

"Better than your secrets?" he asked after a moment.

Sweetly.

"Yes," Steve responded, voice shivery in the morning dim.

"Good."

A morning bird brushed past the window.

"We'll keep it this way."