Chapter 25

Steve slowly brought his mouth to Eddie's and they kissed softly, like he was afraid of breaking him.

It was nothing like the kiss that they'd shared earlier, which seem wild in comparison.

But after a minute, Steve pulled away again, breathless.

"Are you sure you want to d—."

Eddie pulled him back down and kissed him again.

It felt urgent this time, like he might never have Steve like this again.

A one-time special.

Steve groaned quietly into his mouth.

It was devastating.

Eddie kissed him even harder and rolled himself on top of him.

All he could feel was Steve.

And all he could hear was Steve, breath and other.

He let his hands move to the boy's waist, then trailed them underneath his shirt.

His fingers lightly traced against skin, shifting upwards as his mouth inched towards Steve's neck.

Steve stiffened slightly as Eddie's lips reached his collarbone.

His chin was resting on the top of Eddie's head, but the rest of his body was just lying beneath him.

Lifeless.

Eddie realized that maybe he had gone to far. Maybe Steve changed his mind. Maybe he never even wanted this and only did it to make him happy again.

Doubt crushed Eddie's ability to think properly.

He lifted himself up.

This was it.

Without meeting Harrington's eyes, he whispered, "I shouldn't have."

There was no response.

"Let's forget this, please?" he requested desperately.

His hands were still half lost up Steve's shirt, tangled against his ribs, and he was straddling him.

Everything was there.

Steve's mouth was blush pink and so was the rest of his skin as he blinked up at him.

His hair was messed up in the best way.

Eddie was losing it just from seeing him like that.

"What do you mean?" the other boy asked eventually.

He sounded as breathless as he looked.

"Well, I just mean that maybe this isn't going to work," Eddie forced himself to mutter.

Every piece of his being was shouting at him to shut up and kiss Steve again before it was too late, but he ignored it all.

"Going from complete enemies to this... in two days...it's way too much, even for me," he continued. "And you probably don't even know if you want this."

Steve looked like he was struggling to find something to say, judging by the twitches at his jaw.

The same place where Eddie's mouth had been three minutes ago.

Eddie blushed a little bit at the thought.

"Um... I think I'm going to find another place to sleep," he said after a moment and he began to move off of Harrington.

Steve's eyes widened.

Then he reached out and slipped his hands around Eddie's waist, pulling him towards himself.

"If you're going to do this to me, let me kiss you one more time," he whispered. "Then we can call it quits."

Eddie flicked his gaze between the boy's eyes and his mouth.

It was too good to say no.

"Alright," he nodded, voice quiet. "If you're sure."

Steve smiled sadly.

"Oh Eddie, you don't seem to realize that I'm always sure when it comes to you."

Then he leaned in and pressed himself to Eddie.

It was a small kiss.

And when they broke apart again, Steve's eyes were red.

Eddie gently rolled off of him and walked to the bedroom door before he could change his mind.

This was better for both of them.

Even if Steve liked him right now, he wasn't going to for long, not once he realized what Eddie was truly like inside.

They were better suited as enemies.

Eddie reached for the doorknob with a shaky hand.

"Eddie."

Steve called him softly, a thinness to his voice.

Eddie turned around to look at him again, fiddling with his rings behind his back.

On the bed, there was still the shape of where he'd been beside Steve, an unravelled print in the white sheets.

Harrington looked like he was about to cry.

"Goodbye," he whispered.

Eddie felt a dull ache in his chest.

He knew that this whole scene was going to play in his mind for the rest of his life, and he was going to regret it each time.

But he didn't stop himself.

"Goodbye, Steve."