#3: Elizabeth Claire Ainsworth

"Um, Miss! Are you alright?", I woke up from my sleep from the voice of the maid.

"uh.., Yes.", I said getting up.

"Miss, you need to quickly change your attire into that of Sir Ian.", They spoke in unison.

What? They know that I cross-dress? But, where exactly am I in the story line? Memories of Elizabeth were still a bit unclear. I only know of her alter identity, Sir Ian, the memories about 'Ian' was all about her training under a travelling mercenary. Elizabeth's memories were filled with manner lessons. It was as though those games where you need to level up in order to open new stuff.

"Yes.", I said as they all got into making me into 'Sir Ian', the hero of this story, a valiant hero, with no background and education, makes into the frontlines. As a normal soldier, but soon goes up in ranks due to his exceptional ability for leadership and skills.

I looked at myself, my hair was somehow wrapped and kept under a black wig, it was tightly fitted that it felt as though I was carrying a rock over my head. They dyed my baby hairs with a sort of black dye. They next made me have a tight binding, enough to make me choke, but I suppose it was a habitual action for 'Elizabeth'. My bindings were not white as pearls but to the same color and texture of my skin, which made me have many doubts about its origin.

I was made to wear loose clothes with a few buttons open, My sword was fit into my belt. It was a complete makeover. The maids led me to the main room of Count Zachary. I sat how I remember in her memories. I completely mimicked the style of posture.

Elizabeth, when as a lady, has the most proper position, with a slight smile. A proper distance during greetings,(which I think is because she would want to cover her height). Her conversation was light and perfect with no particular accent. You could say for her peers she was a prim and a proper lady, a perfect marriage material.

But, as Ian, she was reckless. She would have a heavy rural accent, posture relaxed and no manners of any sorts, Her loud way of speaking was unexpectedly welcome among the knights. It was a sort of unique thing.

The door opened, and Count Zachary and his family came in crying.

"Oh! Sir Ian! Thank God! You're awake! I thought I lost you!", He began crying.

"Thank-k y-you for saving me, s-sir.", the son of the Count began weeping and thanking me.

"It's ok! I just wanted a favor....", I said.

"What is it? Whatever you want I can get it done!", he shouted.

"I don't clearly remember what had happened, Could you please tell me Count?",

"Oh Yes, of course! It was two weeks back, when, I hired you for protecting our carriage as we pass through the mountain range. It was as we predicted, there was a bandit attack, but that was not all, they aimed to kidnap and kill my son, which I say is intentional!

As you know, My son is my only heir, he lost his brother in a similar accident before. When the attempt to kidnap him was not possible, you came in between my son and a fierce arrow aimed for his head. *sniff*. Even after being hit, you fought till all of them were gone and collapsed.

You're our savior!!", He said.

"Well, calling me a savior is a bit much Count! I was hired to protect you after all!", I said, I got up and prepared to leave.

"Don't go yet, I have already applied for you to join the Knights. You just have go through the selections, but, you shall pass for sure!", he said.

"I ? The Knight selection?", I asked.

"Yes, Sir Ian.", They said offering me place to stay till the selections. Now it hit me, I was luckily in the start of the book. The book depicts my whole situation in just a single line.

The book's line was, 'Ian, a mercenary, was hired by Count Zachary, who sent him to the knight's selection as he was very much satisfied by Ian's skills.'

Who knew, it was actually a big 'savior' scene. The Count Zachary described in the novel, is more like a stern person, but in the reality he is more of a softie.

I went to my room. The maids, the ones who served me before, came beside me and began helping me. Don't they know I am a female? Does this mean the Count also knows?

"Miss, We should soon return.", The head(I guess) said.

"Return where?", I said.

"The Marquisate.", They said.

"The what?"

"Your home, Miss.", They said.

"Oh.. Yeah.", I remembered that I was not a poor girl in the city, but a daughter of a Marquis.

"Let's go back soon. The Marquis is probably worried.", She said.

"The Marquis? He knows?", I asked. And all memories came flooding in again. Elizabeth had cross-dressed as Ian since she was 7 years. She took an identity of Ian a wood cutter's son, who lived deep in woods. She would often cross-dress for a duration of a day. Nothing more than that.

The Marquis found out about this when he saw 'Ian' running across a street. It was when Elizabeth was 14, which means it was 4 years back.

The maids wasted no time, one of the maid, with similar build as mine, but slightly short dressed up exactly like me and slept in the bed. Whereas, I was removed of the disguise and we went to 'my home' in a carriage covered in all-black. Something told me, these maids might know how to fight.