Luke Castellan : "Like a Moth to a Light"

PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS
WARNINGS!
none! it's short and full of fluff. AND!! i love him?!! <3 miss him too tbh.

________________

The older that Luke got, the more time he liked to spend alone. Don't get him wrong; he loved people (being a son of Hermes and all), and his friends - but sometimes it was all a bit too much to handle. Moments alone allowed him to recalibrate.

During the Winter was when he got time for that the most. Everyone went home for school and studies, but he just remained. All the time he didn't spend going to lessons and sleeping, was mostly spent trying to distract himself with training and finding a quiet place to sit. He had to admit that he was lonely. He couldn't not. Even with all of his half brothers and sisters, he never felt fully himself around the others at camp, and he pondered that a lot. Even though they were all demigods, Luke had been through darker stuff than a lot of them - on quests, and in his personal life.

That was, until you spoke to him.

Luke found that with you, everything came a little bit easier. He didn't have to be alone to know he was safe, and free of judgement. He didn't have recharge his battery or get away from the crowd. He could be with you for the whole day, and when you parted he'd still feel disappointed, because not even hours upon hours with you felt like enough for him.

At that moment, you were both in your room, the curtains drawn half way, but it didn't matter because sunlight poured through the white material anyways, lighting you up where you lay. Your sheets were floral (and they matched your dress perfectly, he noticed fleetingly), and your head was lain softly on your pillow, your arms propped to hold up the book you were reading. Luke sat in a big comfy arm chair across from you, admiring the scene before him, filled with yellow light and brightness. His heart felt like it was glowing in his chest, warm and buzzing with a fondness he'd come to recognize around you.

Your lemonade was starting to drip with condensation where it sat on your night stand, but you didn't notice, as you were enraptured in your novel, and Luke couldn't help but let a small smile cross his face.

Your eyes flickered up from the browning pages before you, connecting with his blue ones that already seemed to be staring at you with a silent twinkle. Your cheeks tinted with a pink hue, and his smile only grew in reply. "What're you looking at?" You asked, and it was meant to come out intimidating, but you were in far too much of a good mood for that. Instead, it sounded fond, and decidedly nice by Luke's standards.

He chuckled at the thought that you couldn't even make a threat sound harsh, shaking his head as he replied definitively, "Nothing, nothing."

Luke knew you wouldn't just accept that as his answer, and as he looked across your pouting features, he guessed he was right. You managed to look pretty no matter your expression, especially with the dappled afternoon light on you. It reminded Luke of all the days you'd spent together at camp, and how many he wished were yet to come.

"C'mon," You told him, holding out your hand to him nonchalantly, as if it didn't mean everything to him to slip his hand into yours, and have you tug him towards your bed gently. He sat on your sheets, closer than his beating heart would have liked and further than your hopes would have enjoyed. He wouldn't look at you, only your hands where they lay, still joined on your floral bedding. All you could see where the metaphorical cogs turning in his brain. Little did you know that he was just trying to savor the feeling like he'd never get it again. You held his hand more than occasionally, but he always cherished your touch. Life as a demigod was dangerous and deadly, and comfort was few and far between. He didn't know when next someone would hold him, or if he'd die before he ever really got to kiss you.