Arc 2 Chapter 13: Oath

Don't be surprised that the Emperor refers to himself as 'us' and 'we'. It was apparently something all of them did. I think it was something about talking in the name of their predecessors or something? Anyway, it's just something they did~ 💕

------------

3rd Person POV:

The servant looked at Kendric with mockery and arrogance. "Follow me", he said and without waiting for an answer, he walked ahead.

Kendric only smiled and followed behind him with elegance while talking to the system in his head. They were discussing how an oath would work in this world so he wouldn't make any mistakes.

Once they arrived, his arrival was announced and the door opened. He walked straight in and kneeled before his so-called 'Father' "Imperial Father and Imperial Mother, forgive this son for arriving late. May the gods bless your reign", he said 'respectfully'.

The Emperor was satisfied with this and nodded to show it. "You may rise", he said coldly. After his father gave permission, he stood up slowly, pretending to be a bit weaker then he actually is, causing his brothers and their mother to be satisfied.

Hernan narrowed his eyes a bit smiling inwardly without changing his expression. 'He's smart. The doctor confirmed he's sick so they'll never doubt him and he shows that he's weaker than he actually is to lower their guards. But he made a mistake, which is me. If I were to choose another prince, I would definitely tell them. I guess he has a backup plan in that case', he analyzed

What he didn't know is that Kendric absolutely did not have another plan. He just knows he'll choose him because first, it's his husband and second he knows the future. Sure, minor changes could lead to a butterfly effect, but he would still choose him, since it's his husband. Yes, he was a bit proud to have him by his side again. Just a bit.

"Let us get started then.", the Emperor announced, causing the brothers to line up side by side before Hernan. "We called you here to have our young and talented captain choose one of our sons to swear the oath of loyalty to. You may begin, Sir Amspoker. With us as witnesses, whomever you choose shall forever be your liege."

Hernan bowed respectfully."Thank you, your Majesty.", he answered before turning to the princes. He walked toward them, filling the crown prince and 2nd prince with anticipation. They both wanted him on their side.

But they got shocked out of their mind once they saw him kneel down to that sickly bastard child. Hernan pulled his sword out of its scabbard and Kendric took it with both hands.

"I hereby swear that I, Hernan Amspoker, will put my everything on the line to protect my one and only liege, the 3rd prince Kendric Vanidestine, in both body and mind, good and evil as well as secretly and openly, until I draw my last breath. No one shall ever harm you while I am alive and even after death shall I follow you forever.", he said with determination.

Kendric smiled gently for one second before using his skill, Presence of a Leader, which he just learned, causing everyone to be slightly startled. He took Hernan's sword and pointed it toward him, gently placing the dull end on top of his head.

"With the Emperors and the gods as witnesses, I, Kendric Vanidestine, hereby accept your oath of loyalty. You, Hernan Amspoker, shall protect this prince until you draw your last breath. Never shall you betray me or hurt me, for if you do, you shall face karmic retribution. And this prince, as your liege, shall do the same for you. I shall protect your loyalty by placing my faith in you", he answered with equal determination and gave Hernan his sword back. He stood back up after putting his sword back into it's scabbard.

"Imperial Father, may this son ask you something?", he started asking while kneeling with 'difficulty' after everything was over.

"You may", his father answered, causing Kendric to look at him. "May this son travel outside for a few months? Now that this son has someone protecting him, he wants to see what it is like outside these walls."

The Emperor looked thoughtfully at his son for a bit before answering. "We will allow you to do so. Enjoy your time outside.", he said. Kendric smiled thankfully at him. "This son thanks imperial father", he answered respectfully.

"We hereby conclude this summon. You all shall now return to your chambers.", declared the Emperor before he left, followed by his Empress, who glared discreet daggers at Kendric while doing so.

Her sons were no better. The crown prince scoffed angrily and left. The second prince didn't do much and just left directly though.

Kendric took his husband by the hand and left as well, smiling brightly while doing so. "I didn't think you would choose me", he said while walking."Why did you do that?", he continued.

He didn't ask because of his mission though. He's a bit curious why the captain chose the 3rd prince to be honest. He would probably ask even without the mission.

"I'll answer your question as soon as we reach your chambers.", he answered while looking at their hands. Normally, he wouldn't have liked having close contact with others, but that person seemed different, although he couldn't quite understand why.

While he was thinking about it, they reached his chambers. Kendric closed the door and looked at him, letting go of his hand in the process. "I'll be right back, take a seat.", he said and walked to the 'bathroom'.

Hernan looked at him until he was out of sight and took a seat. Kendric talked to his system. 'Can we get rid of that make up now? I don't really need it anymore for now.', he said.

{Understood}
It didn't take long for his looks to return to normal, but he still waited a bit longer, so as to not appear suspicious. After he was sure it took long enough, he left the room and sat down opposite Hernan.

"So.. Can you please answer my question? I am quite curious as to why such an outstanding individual such as yourself would swear loyalty toward the 'sick' third prince?", he immediately said with a smile.

---------

Hey~ 💕
I just realized.. I never mentioned their age, hehe xD my bad ~

Kendric is 16
While Hernan is 24
I decided to do that since it's playing in an ancient setting.. It wasn't really a rare occurrence at that time x3 Also.. Their souls are both 'adults' so it's fine anyway xD