Slowly Unravelling

CHAPTER SEVEN

Z

While mom took Asanda to church for a thing with him, the house was buzzing with people from all walks of life. For someone who isn't supposed to be 'existing' mom sure has a lot of friends. Kelly and I came a little early to ensure the cake is here before the celebration begins. Tables and chairs are nicely set under eleven gazebos and right in the middle of the whole set up, is a DJ station complete with a turn table.
I can't believe my eyes but mom has not changed one bit since the time she raised us. I blame myself for not telling her the truth about how I felt growing up under her care. Not that we weren't fed, protected or loved. It just would've been better without the under handed activities and over exaggerated holy life and milestone celebrations.

"Welcome family!" Cookie shouts upon seeing us. She picks Notho up and kisses her before dropping her to her feet again and I catch the little girl wiping Cookie's kiss off her left chick. Cookie doesn't notice and continues to instruct Khomo to place the choc-vanilla cake next to the three-step fancy cake which Cookie proudly announces to have had done just in time for the party.

Wonderful...not.

My bedroom is stocked with alcohol enough to knock a thousand people off, so I end up sitting in my car, waiting for mom to return so that the party can begin.

*****

Upon mom's return with Asanda and 'father'; everyone starts singing a church song I don't know about taking small steps.

I swear that's all the song says; we will step little-by-little. The lyrics are in Zulu though.

The mood becomes jovial and even Asanda's friends from school join in the song and enjoy with mom's friends, escorting her to the DJ's station. She picks up the microphone and thanks everyone for coming then tells them to feel at home and eat as much as they desire - stating there's enough to feed the whole city.

Directions to the hired female and male toilets are given then finally she announces that the big room next to the pool area is waiting for the children to enjoy. "Games and food galore!" Mom exclaims joyfully. Then without mentioning a thing about Asanda turning ten she calls on the DJ to take over.

Classic.

Kelly, Khomo and I slowly drag ourselves to one of the five serving stations and dish up. Tandai's bedroom is packed with barbequed meat and the spare room is storing all kinds of soft drinks so we end up sitting in the study room no one ever uses. Moments later, Zanda walks in with the woman I know is Ella. I have looked at her inactive facebook page for a good number of days now. Her eyes stay on me from the moment she notices me and although I know she's most probably shocked by my likeness to Tandai, I can't help but feel like she's reminiscing on our first and last meeting.

Tandai breaks her trans on me by introducing her to everyone and the ladies get up to hug and welcome her first, giving me time to recover from her stare. They come to me last, with my brother jovially stating the obvious - our resemblance. Ella admits to be shocked beyond words then says nice to meet you, while coming in for a brief embrace. After pulling away, she says "Oh my God, you even feel familiar" I have absolutely nothing to say in response to that so I sit next to Ella, holding her like I'm guilty of cheating.

Ella again gives me a break from her stare by going to wish her son a happy birthday but quickly returns, saying Asa looked like he was having too much fun with his peers. "I would hate to embarrass him by hugging and kissing him" she says with a giggle and at that moment I notice for the first time how beautiful she is and sense that my brother is taken in by her.

What a wow.

T
The plan was to wish our son a happy day, eat then leave. Ella was going to return to her house but I was going to encourage her to go past my place where I was hoping to seduce her to sleeping over.