Ella-Catherine War Continues

CHAPTER TEN

Z
Tandai's television ad idea is airing tonight and as expected, mom has invited us all to see it together. It's a week day, I'm tired and over worked at my job but I push on. Push on because we were trained early to do so lest we expose hidden things. We had no choice but to complete school and work like ordinary citizens with money problems. I anticipated no problems because I didn't know how exhausting it will be to complain about gas prices going up when I actually didn't care. We're never affected by such.

*****

I can't believe the progress Asa has made on the puzzle. Yes, I'm avoiding that he got assistance. I thought this would be one huge picture but now I see Asa has completed one picture and there are still over a hundred pieces to be put together. The beautiful picture of nature depicts overgrown grass with cows grazing from afar. There's also an old structure of a broken down face brick house on the top right corner. Nothing special but naturally beautiful.

Cookie placed mouthwatering snacks and drinks on the huge coffee table in the TV room and I get hungry from just seeing it. Her famous choc-cookies are also featured on the table and Notho has already received one because she's cute, I think. 'Father' arrives next and gets an excited greeting from Cookie, an okay one from me and a look-warm one from Tandai, who I'm seeing for the first time tonight. He and Ella also just arrived but clearly came in through the kitchen door.

"Hi, Zanda" Ella says to me in the sweetest voice that makes me uncomfortable. I coolly smile and nod first before instructing my mind to verbalise the greeting too. "How are you" I finally manage to say and with a wide smile, she says, "I'm still freaked out by your resemblance to Tandai, otherwise all is good". Kelly laughs and only then do I realise, it's also a joke then chuckle a bit. I'm not a chuckler so even that is strange.

The ad is scheduled to play for the first time in an hour and eleven minutes so mom is somewhere in the house making herself look fabulous for it. I know, she's special. Asa and Notho are already having their snacks and I can't help but envy them. As to why we need to wait for mom, pray then wait for the ad while eating, is beyond me. Why do we even have a program for this?

"Hellooo family and welcome"

Wonderful. She's here.

Kelly hugs and complements her designer dress. I must admit, the dress is stunning on mom. Still inappropriate and over the top for a television advert at home but then again, this is Catherine. You all look beautiful she says hugging Tandai and whispering something in his ear. When she's properly greeted everyone, including 'Archie' she has us all join hands and sing a short church song then 'Father' says a short prayer.

Then finally, I get to eat and I waste no time getting to the front of the que. There isn't one really but I'm the first to dig in. Tandai didn't even get to the front of the que because mom pulled him to the kitchen while fake smiling. I wonder what that's about but devour myself in eating while stealing looks at Ella. I completely get why my brother's got the hearts for her. She is a natural beauty. I should be feeling lucky I got with her once but I can't for two reasons. She doesn't know we ever got together and she wasn't on this level ten years ago. She's developed curves in all the right places now and I refuse to admit that I wish Tandai and I had gotten into that shenanigan at this age. I definitely would have enjoyed it now. Back then, all I could think about was if I'm performing at my brother's level or less.

"But no one's judging you for being with him!"

We all stop what we're doing and focus on Tandai's loud statement.

"No! No mom, we're leaving"

I know exactly what just happened but the food's too good so reach for more hake and calamari while I watch Tandai kiss Notho and Asa goodbye then leading Ella out. Mom walks straight to her bedroom, followed by 'Father' and Cookie. "Do you think we should leave?" Kelly asks me while settling next to me and refilling her plate with more pineapple pieces.