Chapter 4 flashbacks

I couldn't sleep that night. I couldn't sleep the night after, either. I could never sleep until I understood why.

Why? Why would you tell your friend to kill you.

The thoughts in my head were always coming up with reasons as to why he would do such a thing.

Why does he want to die? Is he doing this for us? Is he afraid of turning into his father? Is he afraid that he's already turned into his father? What if he's given up on life?

What could the reason be?

I couldn't sleep.

I finally snapped out of it and opened my fully closed eyes, trying to adapt to the darkness of my borrowed room. Once I could see a bit clearer, I stepped out of bed and decided to end this problem once and for all.

As soon as I set foot on the floor, I got immediate shivers. Why was the floor so cold? That's not very common in the Fire Nation...

I shrugged it off. One problem at a time, Hua. I reminded myself. I grabbed the candle on my nightstand and lit it up. This is the first time I've been outside my room alone. And in my sleepwear, too. I didn't know where to go. This palace was strange to me. Foreign. I didn't know it like the back of my hand like I do with the Western Air Temple.

It's okay, I thought. I can do this.

I mean, how hard can it be?

__

I think I'm lost.

I'm absolutely, stupidly lost. What kind of idiot would wander around a strange, new place that they've never been to before. I couldn't ask for help, everyone was asleep. I couldn't even remember where my room was. All I did was walk.
And walk.
And walk.

Stop walking you idiot! You're going to end up in a much worse position.

But I didn't listen. I just kept walking.
And walking.
And walking.

Only when I hit something, did I stop walking. I fell backwards with a grunt and looked up. A shadowed figure looked down at me.

Crap!

I quickly stood up and bowed.

If this man was one of the royal guards, I'm totally dead.

Before I could apologize and beg for silence, the man spoke up.

"Hua?"

His voice was a familiar voice. A voice a knew far too well.

"Zuko?!"

I shined the candle at him to see his handsome yet scarred face. He squinted his eyes and looked away. He must've been to used to the dark. I put the candle down, away from his view.

"Sorry." I sheepishly said.

"That's okay." I could practically hear the smile in his voice. "What are you doing here in the middle of the night?"

I hesitated. I didn't know what to tell him. If I told him the truth about being out here, he'd surely be angry. So, I did the only reasonable thing I could think of. I lied.

"Um, I couldn't sleep. I thought a stroll would tire me enough to sleep. I guess I didn't think it through and got lost." I said, feeling a rushing wave of guilt inside me. I've never lied to a friend on purpose. It was against the monk beliefs.

"Oh, a stroll, huh? Hmm." He sounded unconvinced, which scared me. Now he'll be even angrier that I lied to him. Still, I didn't stop.

"Uh, yup! Well, now it worked and I want to got to sleep. Can you show me back to my room please?" My heart was beating so fast, so loud that I was sure he could hear it. Damn it!