Chapter 6 betrayal

If you've ever shared a bed with someone, you'd know that when you wake up, they're usually beside you. Usually.

You wouldn't expect the person who insisted on sleeping with you to bail out, right?

Zuko's obviously didn't know that. As soon as I woke, the only thing I saw beside me was a human-sized crease on the bed. I checked for him everywhere—the bathrooms, kitchens, even throne rooms—but he was nowhere to be found.

I didn't know why I felt disappointed, though. He was my friend—and just that. Also, even if he and I were dating, it would never work out. The Fire Nation and the Air Temples aren't supposed to be friendly with each other. Not after what happened 100 years ago.

Whatever, it's not like it's ever going to happen!

Knock
Knock
Knock

Zuko!

I scrambled out of bed and quietly advanced to the door. Why the hell am I so eager?

"Come in!" I yelled out, even though I was standing three feet away from the door. I smiled wide as the door creaked open, readying myself to face his handsome features.

Just then, I looked down and what I saw horrified me.

I was still in my pyjamas!!!

I looked back up at the half-opened door and saw a shadow behind it, ready to enter.

"Zuko, wait!" I exclaimed, covering my body with my hands.

"Lord Zuko?" Asked a voice that definitely did not belong to Zuko.

Shit!

I looked up and saw Ghana looking back at me with concern in her eyes. Then, those eyes widened.

"Oh no, miss Hua! Did you and Lord Zuko-"

"NO!" I interrupted. I instantly covered her mouth with my hands, fearing that someone might hear.

She stared at me in shock. This was definitely not helping my case. I slowly unfolded my hands off her mouth and dropped them to my side.

Then, I explained everything.

—————————————————————————

Breakfast was being held in the grand dining room, and boy, was it grand.

The room was wide with high ceilings, decorated with shiny chandeliers. In the middle of the room, there was a king dining table, containing breakfasts from every nation. It's chairs held my friends who were all chatting and eating.

When I walked in, they all noticed me a greeted me with a "good morning" and a smile.

Zuko gave me a smirk instead, and my cheeks reacted. I sat down next to Aang and asked for a plate.

Without hesitation, he seized an empty plate and filled it with a serving of each dish. I smiled at the detail.

"Thank you, Aang." I grinned.

It was nice that he cared, even though I was the one who was supposed to care for him.

He gave me a toothy grin back and continued to eat his food and talk to Katara, who was not pleased about the interruption.

"So, Hua," Toph started, pushing Sokka out of his seat so that she could sit in front of me. "Are you feeling alright?"

At that, everyone stopped talking and directed their attention at me, including Sokka, who rose from the ground.

"What do you mean?" I blinked, staring at the small earth-bender in confusion.

Toph put her fork down and pushed her plate of half-eaten eggs away.

"I mean, why were you and Zuko sleeping together? Did you have a nightmare or something?"

To my right, I heard Katara gasp in horror and saw Sokka fall back to the ground, probably because he fainted.

Aang looked furious and glared at Toph, even though he knew she couldn't see it. He looked back at me with round eyes that made me feel guilty.

"Hua, is this true?" He asked.

I gulped and looked at Zuko for help. He gave me a reassuring look and stood up, gaining everyone's attention—including Aang.

"Everyone," he started, "I'd like to make an announcement."

Sokka was finally up and off the floor, thanks to Suki. Now, everyone was listening and curious. Even me.

"Hua," he began, making everyone sit at the edge of their seats, "is a very dangerous sleep-walker."

We all blinked at him as silence took over the room.

What? Sleep-walker?

"Sleep-walker?" Sokka asked skepticaly. Me and Zuko shared a nervous glance. Even if we truly did nothing, our friends could still get the wrong idea—and it might spread.

"Well, that makes sense." He finally said, continuing to eat as everyone around him groaned. Suki facepalmed, and Toph rolled her eyes—wait, did she even know where her eyes were going?

Katara narrowed her eyes at me and lifted a judging brow. I felt my body temperature rise up from the heat of my anxiety.

"Are you sure, Hua?" She asked, raising her voice on purpose. "You two seem a bit...nervous."

Toph perked her head up when she heard the statement.

"Actually," she started, "Zuko's heartbeat was a bit fast. Too fast for a normal heartbeat."

Damn it.

She stared at me, her two milky pupils intimidating me. I looked to Zuko and he looked at me. I read the reaction on his face:

I'm sorry.

I looked back at Katara and Toph and realised there was no other choice; I had to lie—and not be detected.

I took a deep breathe, held it in for a few seconds, and let it out. I felt my heartbeat slow down a bit. I did the same thing again and my heartbeat slowed down even more.

Finally, I was ready.

"Toph, I think he was just nervous." I spoke, my words coming out smoother than silk. "Everything he said was true; I am a sleep walker!"

Toph waited for a moment—listening to my heartbeat. Finally, she smiled and looked to the rest of the table.

"She's telling the truth." She announced.

Strings of apologies were heard from all our friends' mouths. Even Katara.

Zuko looked at me with a proud smile. He was proud of me, so why wasn't I?

Because I used one of the forbidden air-bending techniques. Because I used what the corrupt monks taught me—and it helped me.

Why did I do that?

Why?

Because you're selfish, that's why.

Because you betrayed yourself—and your beliefs. That's why.