02

"Nandini, it's so good to finally meet you. I have heard a lot about you," Manik said, acting oblivious. Nandini forced a smile before Mukti introduced her to some of his colleagues. While Mukti was busy making small talk, their eyes met and Manik couldn't help but rake his eyes over her, noticing how the dress beautifully hugged her body, which was more fuller than the last time they met.

"You too," Nandini managed to say, her shaking hands fisting beside her as her eyes met his. Knowing their meeting was anything but a coincidence. As she felt his eyes all over her, her eyes shifted towards Mukti in trepidation.

Manik's attention was pulled away as one of his friends came and started talking with him. Mukti and Nandini excused themselves, walking to other side of the room, her mind reeling with the fact that he is Mukti's father. As Mukti walked to get a drink, a waiter walked over to her and handed over a white slip to her.

With a thudding heart, she read it.

First floor. Third room to your right. Be their in five minutes.

~M.M.

Her hands shook as she looked around for a glimpse of him while fisting the paper and couldn't before she walked to the washroom.

"God!" Nandini whispered, her eyes filling up as she rambled, "He–he is her father. Manik is Mukti's father. I–we-and he's married. Why didn't I connect the dots when Mukti mentioned him. I'm so stupid! Why did I just forgot his words? If I go to his room–he-we will–and if I don't-what if he takes away everything? How will I raise Kabir? What if he finds out about him? He will kill me! What should I do?!"

Breathing out, Nandini walked out after washing her face, her mind contemplating her decision as she slowly climbed up the stairs while messaging Mukti, lying about how she wasn't feeling well and was resting in the guest room for some time.

Her heart thudded in her chest, her hands sweating as she held the knob of the door before she opened the door, entering in the room. She looked around in the empty room and walked to the window, looking out at the night sky while her heart started pounding in her chest as she felt his presence behind her before the sound of door's lock clicking filled the silence.

She swallowed as he closed the distance between them, reeling over that he was her best friend's father but everything went out of the drain as her eyes closed on their accord as his arms wrapped around her waist securely.

"You've grown more beautiful than the last time I saw you," his gruff voice, filled with yearning and desire whispered in her ear. Nandini pushed away his hand and turned around, instead saying, "You're Mukti's father!"

"It shouldn't matter, should it? You remember our contract, don't you?" Manik asked while Nandini looked at him, her hands clenched at her sides while she tried to control her emotions as his arm wrapped around her, pulling her closer while he continued, "It's been a year. I gave you the time that you needed. You're done with what you needed to be done with. I've had enough."

"Please, Manik. I can't. She's my best friend. You also have a wife," Nandini whispered, pressing her hand against his chest to keep some distance as he further pulled her to himself.

"A wife who needs to be divorced. Moreover, is it more important than what we have?" Manik inquired before she lost her patience and snapped, "You have a wife and whether she is divorced or not doesn't matter because at the end of the day I will be called the third woman. And we have nothing! What happened that night was a stupidity on my part! Because if it was real then where were you last year?! Where were you when I needed you the most?!"

"Nandini–" Manik started but she cut hlm off by saying, "No, I don't want to hear anything. Just leave me alone! Whatever help you provided us, I will repay you."

"What the fuck did you say?!" Manik snapped, she repeated, "I will repay you for whatever help you provided us."

"Us?" Manik inquired in confusion, her eyes watering as she nodded before whispering, "I had a baby."

She winced as his hold on her arms tightened while he held her chin to keep her eyes locked with his as he asked, "Whose child is it?" When she refused to answer, she cried out as his hand wrapped around her throat, not pressuring on it, just in warning as he gritted out, "Nandini, whose child is it? Is it mine or–"

"No," Nandini whispered, making him release her immediately as a look of pure disgust and hate towards her marred his face, while she held the table to support herself. Her throat constricted in pain as she watched him turning around without a word and leaving the room, shutting the door with a thud before a sob ripped out of her throat. Her legs gave out and soon the silent room filled with her cries filled with agony.

Thank you for reading. Please vote, comment and share!