When Life was Perfect

I got to do a little setting up, but don't worry it's going to get to the good shit soon!
Enjoy!

"Y/n! Jack! It's already 9:30. Come inside and get ready for bed, you got your first day of school tomorrow!"

My mom's voice rung over the sound of the bouncing basketball in my hands, and I quickly brought my arm up to wipe the gathered sweat off of my forehead. "Game point, Harlow. Am I about to beat you for the billionth time in a row?"

My best friend Jack rolled his eyes, his curly hair bouncing as he shook his head in exasperation. "We're 13 and you're 5'10, Y/n/n.. How the hell do you expect me to win?" I couldn't hold back my laugh. He wasn't wrong though. Most of the kids in my class, Jack included, were 5'7 and shorter. So it was pretty much a massacre anytime I played ball with any of them.

"Excuses, excuses, come up, check me." I stood at the far end of my parent's driveway, passing the ball to Jack before he quickly passed it back. Before I could make any moves though, a matte black hellcat pulled up, the subs in the trunk blasting the beat so loudly I could feel it in my bones. "Looks like you lucked up, can't play with Dez's car around."

Jack put his hands in the prayer position, thanking his lucky stars before he tiredly plopped on the ground. I put my basketball by my hoop before making my way over to the opening driver's door. "Did you bring the goods?" I covertly lowered my voice, looking around for any potential opps.

Dez stood up, shutting the door behind him before also looking around and lowering his voice. "Goods secured." He handed me the GameStop bag, and Jack excitedly popped around my shoulder to look in it with me. I held up GTA 6 as if it was the holy grail, it had just been released and neither my parents nor Jack's were going to buy it for us. Luckily I had an 18 year old brother who loved me. "Don't do anything on it that I wouldn't do."

"You literally play GTA in real life, nigga. That means there's not much that I can't do."

"Yeah, we're immediately running over hookers and starting up drug businesses." Jack piped in.

Rolling his eyes, Dez chuckled under his breath before locking up his car and heading inside.

"C'mon," I followed behind Dez, calling over my shoulder to Jack. "We gotta pretend to be asleep when my ma checks in; that way we can stay up all night playing this shit."

Jack ran behind me, and I flicked on the porch light before shutting and locking the door behind us.

----------------------------------------

"Now, after doing your summer reading, when Jack London named the book 'Call of The Wild', what do you think his reasoning was behind it?"

I subtly yawned behind my hand, fighting with everything in me to drown out the boring drone of my English teacher's voice.

I wish I could have skipped.

A tap on my shoulder brought me out of my half-sleep trance, and I glanced over my shoulder to see someone discreetly handing me a note. I smiled when I recognized the tiny hand of my long-time crush, and I hurriedly opened her note.

IMessage games? This shit is soooo boring:(
-Ariana

Only if you're prepared to lose.
-Y/n

I wrote down my number on the back of the note before slipping it back over my shoulder, my eyes on Mrs. Plum the entire time.

My phone buzzed on the desk, and I couldn't keep in my grin. Wait till I tell Jack that Ariana talked to me first.

We played pool back and forth for the rest of the period, and she surprisingly kicked my ass a few times, but the ringing of the bell stopped our game short. "Okay, since it's the first day back no homework, but be prepared to jump right back into it tomorrow!"