158 | Task 01

"I ASKED SIREN TO give him a kiss mark, but it's not because I wanted to spread his secret," Max explains. "I wanted to know something, that's why I asked Siren for help. I wanted to know why Thomas...hides the fact that his brother is Daniel Anderson Wilson, a member of the previous kings, Paradox."

     Everyone in the greenhouse became completely quiet as soon as Max said his reason. Some even thought that they heard him wrong.

     "Max, how did you—" Marcus was trying to wrap his head around it, repeating the words in his head over and over again. Thomas had a brother, and he was a member of Paradox, a king who Hans and the others knew too well. Such information wasn't easy to take in.

     The dukes couldn't process it, and some even wanted to pretend like he didn't hear anything, but surprisingly enough, no one tried to say anything that would make it look like they didn't believe Max.

     Out of all the white uniforms in J.S High or the other houses, Max was someone they trusted the most. He helped them in ways no one could have done, so when Max told them about Thomas's possible brother, they instantly knew...

     They knew that they have done something wrong to have recruited such a white uniform without even knowing about it.

     "Max, " Hans calls out, finally breaking the silence. "What you said...is it true?"

     "That's bullshit!" Thomas suddenly shouts, walking towards Max to grab him, but Hans angrily pushes him away, almost making Thomas stumble back.

     "You shut up. I'll let you speak later so you better think of a fucking good explanation on why you hid such a thing from us," Hans tells him before looking back at Max. "And you, you better explain yourself too because if what you're saying isn't true then I don't know what I'll fucking do with you, Max."

     Max nervously gulps and looks back at the Dukes and the Roses. He could tell that they wanted Max to be wrong because, for a long time, Thomas was a part of their brotherhood. If what Max said is true, then it means that Thomas has been lying to them all this time.

     This situation was like finding out that Ari was betraying Max all along. Max wouldn't be able to process that either if that happened to him for real.

     "I know this is hard to accept, but it's true, there's no reason for me to lie to all of you here. I saw his profile on J.S High's official records," Max explains, leaving out the other reasons since he didn't want to accidentally open up about his task for the banquet.

     "And why on earth would you fucking look at my records? Who the hell gave you that right, huh Sinclaire?" Thomas angrily asks.

     "So is it true then, considering how you're not denying it?" Arjun then asks before Max could even explain himself, leaving Thomas looking flustered.

    "I...I don't—" Thomas stutters and tries to think of a way to explain his side. If he just decided to stay calm, no one would have suspected a thing. His reaction gave it all away. Everyone was looking at Thomas, some with disbelief and some with disappointment in their eyes. He felt like there was no way for him to recover from this now, so he finally lets everything out.

     "I'm sorry," Thomas says, falling to the floor so he could kneel in front of the dukes. His action was so unexpected that even Richard gasped in shock. He never thought his friend would ever do such a thing.

     Max couldn't help but feel shitty inside while he looked at Thomas. He ruined Thomas's reputation, but at the same time, Max felt that something was still off. Something in the puzzle was missing. There has to be more than this.