XIV

THE EXAMINATION OF JANE IVERS
Taken on November twenty-five, 2022
Birch Psychiatric Hospital.
66732 Manhattan, New York.
Video transcript time: 2:57 a.m.
Examination by Dr. Isabella Martinez

ISABELLA: Jane, do you know where you are?
JANE: [silence]
ISABELLA: Oh, come on. I only gave you fifty ccs of midazolam. I've given you more before.
JANE: [silence]
ISABELLA: Jane, we went over this. Is it true that I have your consent to treat you here?
JANE: ....Yes.
ISABELLA: Great, thank you. Do you know why you're here?
JANE: Why is there a camera.
ISABELLA: For patient records. Do you know why you're here?
JANE: I know.
ISABELLA: Can you say it?
JANE: [silence]
ISABELLA: [sighs] Jane, if you don't answer I'm going to have to inject you again.
JANE: I heal.
ISABELLA: Good. What else?
JANE: What do you mean?
ISABELLA: You kill.
JANE: No, I don't.
ISABELLA: Yes, you do Jane. Don't you remember?
JANE: No. No, you're lying I didn't kill anyone
ISABELLA: Turn off the cameras.
[End video examination: 3:04 a.m.]

THE EXAMINATION OF JANE IVERS – TAKE THREE
Video transcript time: 3:09

ISABELLA: The patient has been given extra ccs of sedation to calm her state. Jane, let's start over. What's your full name?
JANE: [silence]
UNKNOWN: God, she's like a zombie.
ISABELLA: Jane, you need to cooperate. Otherwise, I'll tell your dad you need to be kept in here longer.
JANE: [undetected murmuring]
ISABELLA: Jane, what is your full name?
JANE: Jane Rose Ivers.
ISABELLA: Good. Where are you from?
JANE: France.
ISABELLA: How old are you?
JANE: Twenty.
ISABELLA: How long have you known about your curse?
JANE: Three years old.
ISABELLA: Good. Now tell me, do I have your consent to do this.
JANE: [silence]
ISABELLA: Jane.
JANE: Yes.
ISABELLA: Excellent. Now tell me why you're here.
JANE: I heal.
ISABELLA: And?
JANE: I don't kill.
ISABELLA: [sighs] Jane, do you know what schizophrenia is?
JANE: Yes.
ISABELLA: So you know that...victims of schizophrenia have withdrawn from reality. They are in a state of mental fragmentation.
JANE: I know that. Why are you telling me this?
ISABELLA: Jane... you have schizophrenia. You killed those people.
JANE: No. I did not. Why are you framing-
UNKNOWN: She's shaking. Is she having a seizure?
ISABELLA: Did you put too many sedatives in her? Cut the camera.
JANE: I didn't do it-
ISABELLA: Turn it off.
[End video examination 3:17]

Janes pov
They take the straps off of my bed, unbuckling my hands and feet. I sit in my room–well, patient room. I can feel the lines of what's real, what's a nightmare, and what's a memory blur. I can hardly tell the difference. My dad just left a few minutes ago, telling me I'd only be here for another three days. But I can't tell if that was real or if that was another hallucination, so I don't let myself believe in false hope.

I feel like a lab rat. And though I wasn't locked in a cell, I was still a prisoner in this building. Sometimes, I picture myself with my fingers pressed to the glass. Unable to touch the outside world where so many people live their lives never being told they're not okay. I never knew that. I've passed every test ever given to me with flying colors, but somehow, I can't pass the one that determines if I'm sane or not. "Jane?" A nurse calls for me, opening my door. I look up at her, and she looks away. "You're scheduled for group participation in two minutes. Go on."

I don't have a choice anyway. Everything here is against my will, despite what they're forcing me to say on the tapes. The worst part? No one will know. No one will ever know that behind the scenes, I was sedated over and over again until their word became my gospel. I make my way to the conference room and catch a glimpse of myself in the wide mirror. I don't look like myself, not really. I look dead. And the clothes I'm wearing, they make me want to throw a fit more than anything.