XLV

On January 13, 2023, tapes of abuse, murder, breeding, and other crimes were released to the public by an anonymous user. The tapes, showed a girl, later discovered to be Jane Ivers, being tortured by the same people who promised to help and protect her. That same day, news came out that the building had caught fire, but that the patients were given to healthcare workers. Then, a call was made to the NYPD; a frantic boy, begging anyone who would listen to save his friends. This would be around 3:00 a.m.

It would be another four hours before the ambulance arrived. But Henry Vitiello would only make it to the third. When forensics discovered his corpse, he was found using his body to shield someone else's. The burns were so severe that the only way they could identify them was by their matching wedding bands.

It appeared that Henry Vitiello, though knowing  Jane Ivers wouldn't die because of the flames, wouldn't let go of her. It appeared to look as if he wouldn't let her go in fear of her getting hurt. In the end, Ivers died shortly after.

In the autopsy, though, it showed that Vitiello didn't die from the fire, the toxic air, or the lack of oxygen—he died from a swollen heart. Ivers had died from a broken one.

They had both died the day before Vitiello's birthday, and investigators had found a cake hidden in the cabin they were allegedly hiding in. Your first birthday party, it had read in sloppy blue icing. And for many more to come.

They also found a diary of Ivers that would later be published despite protests from the Senate. The book later went on to push a new law—one that would make sure this wouldn't happen again.

It's funny, isn't it? How being heroic and foolish more often than not turn out to be the same thing.