Chapter Four - Episode One (CONT'D): The Vanishing of Will Byers

~~

The apparent interrogation wasn't going well.

To begin with, the Principal and secretary spent almost a whole hour holed up inside the formers office, none of the two moving a muscle in order to go find the three kids Hopper had asked for. When they finally did move, it had been far too late, the bell overhead ringing and announcing the time for lunch. The school was filled with scattered preteens, making it harder to discern who was who in the mass of walking bodies, and the Principal had scurried off to find them himself, sweat rolling down the sides of his head at Hoppers expression.

Locating them took twice as long, since nobody had thought to pay any attention in looking up the children's schedules. The Principal had gone from door to door, asking teachers and students alike about any of the three kids whereabouts. Luckily, one of the English teachers was able to point him to Mr. Clarks class, a favorite that you'd heard the party occasionally mention over the past couple of months.

While you waited, you had been led to the Principals clean and empty room- only one main desk, filing cabinets, surrounding chairs, and a couch filling the space. You watched Hopper arrange the seats, three chairs total facing the couch. When you asked what they were for, the Chief had bluntly ignored you, choosing to grumble to himself quietly. Even Officer Callahans reemergence had done little to dwindle the older mans racing attitude, and the two of you had been forced to stand on the side awkwardly, the cop returning your car keys in the process.

In the end, after the small party finally walked into the small room, you were informed that the trio had been inside the Audiovisual room, messing around with some new equipment that the Science teacher had ordered. It was a radio of sorts, and with how frequently the boys talked about their walkies and channels, you cringed at how you didn't think to mention any of this to the searching adult.

Now, here you sat, squished in between the two officers while your kids sat across from you, incredulous looks and whiny voices piercing the room as they began to be questioned by Hopper about their friend.

Their missing friend.

As if things couldn't get any worse.

After having had enough of the loud atmosphere, the Chief raised his hand, immediately causing the room to hush as he asked, "... So you were... racing?"

Dustin, who had been the noisiest of the bunch, nodded reverently, pausing as he stopped to think a moment. "Well... It was me and him, actually-"

Confirming, Lucas pointed to himself, "My house is the first up-"

Mike, who had been unexpectedly pensive, breaks from his stupor, nearly yelling out, "He takes Mirkwood home-"

"Yeah! We were racing on a bet and-"

Hopper shouts out a, "Whoa, whoa, whoa. One at a time." Then points at Mike decidedly, nodding as he said, "You. You said he takes... what?"

"Mirkwood."

"'Mirkwood'?"

Turning to Officer Callahan, who has been taking notes during the hectic conversation, he questions, "You ever hear of a 'Mirkwood'?"

The Officer shrugs. "Sounds made-up."

Lucas holds up a hand, adding quickly, "It's from Lord of the Rings-"

"The Hobbit, actually-"

At Dustins input, Lucas hits his chest, annoyance ticking at his brow. "It doesn't matter-!"