Chapter Nine - Episode Two (CONT'D): The Weirdo on Maple Street

~~

"... All are encouraged to attend. Volunteer sign-ups for search parties are still available in the office."

Outside, the boy waits for you by his car, the cream colored automobile having seen better days. He's leaning against the trunk, arms crossed and head downturned, only glancing up when you finally approached. "Hey, Y/N. How are you?"

Jonathan Byers holds more of his fathers characteristics than his brother, who looks a helluva lot more like Joyce. He's tall, not overly so, with huge bags under his eyes and unruly light brown hair. He has the looks of someone intimidating, but he's really just antisocial, spending most of his time at home studying or working. You both have more in common than you had expected at first, and though you don't talk to him much, there's a mutual respect for one another, and you know he'd probably have your back if you ever asked that of him.

"I'm... I'm okay, if that's what you can call it. How are you and your mom? I'm sorry I haven't called her or anything, things have been hectic."

"She understands, asked me to check in with you and stuff. Hopper came over and told us he basically shook you down and mom felt bad. Said you'd never do anything to hurt Will and she hopes you'll still come around after... After all of this is over."

You nod, blinking away the slight blearing in your eyes. "Of course. Any updates?"

A lengthy sigh and the shake of Jonathan's head is what you're met with. "No. The only thing they found was his bike and they're hosting search parties at all hours of the day to see if anything else comes up. It's like he completely fell off the face of the earth. We don't know what to do anymore."

Jonathan looks out into the distance as he says this, eyes faraway and gauging. There's a brief pause for a moment, then, "I'm gonna head up to the city, see if Lonnie knows anything. He's been dodging moms calls and I don't like that. Can't tell if he's just being an asshole or if he's got something to hide."

"Lonnie? You and I both know Will would never-"

"I need to confirm. Need to go up there and see for myself that that assholes got nothing to do with my brother disappearing!"

Crossing your arms, you step back in a placating gesture, trying to follow Jonathans stressed train of thought without aggravating him. "Okay, you just want to check, I get that. Why not send Hopper then? Shouldn't that guy be the first one the Chief goes out looking for? Why get yourself involved with the shit anyways?"

Lips pressed into a thin line, the boy shakes his head once more. "If the cops come, either one of them will think they're in trouble. They'll hide, and who knows how long it'll take to find any of them if that's the case. It's better if I go, I'm a neutral party in all this."

Biting the inside of your lip, you hum, looking over the others physique as you change the topic, having come to terms that this was something he wanted to do regardless of your words. "Then, is there anything I can do to help in the meantime? Does your mom need someone to stay with her? I'd be more than happy to stop by if she needed it."

Jonathan thinks for a moment, eyes shifting between yours before he finally answers. "I think it's best if you just focused on being with the other kids. Moms been a little... intense and I don't want you to see her in a bad light." Standing up straight, the boy leans into one of the cars open windows, taking out some stacks of paper. "But, if you could put some of these posters up, that would be great. I'm supposed to be putting them up right now, but..."

Taking the stack of papers, which turn out to be a bunch of missing person posters with pictures of Will, you smile, heavy and dim. "It's fine, I'd be more than happy too. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Lord knows my dad and I wished we'd had more support when my mom was going under."

Relieved, Jonathan let's out a breath, blinking rapidly as he takes a too long look at the posters. "Thank you. Really, it means a lot to us, you don't understand."

"Of course. Anything else?"

"No, this is all I want you to do. Don't wanna take advantage or anything." With a jerk of his head, the boy makes way to the drivers side of his vehicle, dismissing himself as he goes. "I'm gonna take off, see if I can find anything up at Lonnies. I'll update you if anything new pops up, so don't worry about a thing. Take it easy, okay?"

Saluting sarcastically, you walk backwards towards your car as well, careful of stray rocks as you go. "Same to you. Get some rest after you get back, you look like you need it."

And with that, Jonathan leaves, wheels kicking up dirt as he drives past the speed limit, obviously impatient to find any substance to his ideas. You watch him go, wary of what he might find while up in the city. The thought of Will leaving with his father, voluntarily or not, makes you feel ill, memories of past conversations with Joyce about their deadbeat dad coming towards the forefront of your mind. Although it would take longer, would mean something else must've happened to him, you hope Jonathan doesn't find Will with his father, hope he isn't forced to walk in on something terrible.

Shaking the absurd concept away, you enter the drivers side of your car, setting aside the sheets you'd been given. The pictures of Will stare back at you, and a small feeling of failure washes over you, images of a not so long ago past filled with smiling faces and horrendously done figurines washing over you in a tempest of nerves.

After a moment of quiet, just like the one you'd experienced this morning once you'd made it to school, you drive out of the parking lot, cranking the dial on the radio to its highest setting. There was no way you were going back into campus, mind already set on one thing and one thing only.

But first, you needed to make a pit stop at the nearest store.

~~