Chapter Seven - Episode Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street

~~

Riding up Maple Street in the pouring rain with a young girl clinging onto your back had not been the way you believed your groups little adventure would end.

After the initial shock of coming face to face with another human who seemed virtually harmless, you'd been quick to throw your drenched jacket over the spooked kid, with Mike following suit. You had tried to ask her some questions, find out who she was and what she was doing out in the cold, but after no response, you thought it best to take her elsewhere where she could get dry.

Lucas and Dustin had been the ones to lead you all out of the forest, and after much debate on where you would go and who she would ride with, you ended up taking her with you on the path to Mikes house.

While your humble abode was closest, it was also the smallest, and an addition to the house dwellers would be noticeable no matter how hard you tried to hide her or the boys. Dustin and Lucas were both skeptical of the idea of offering the strange girl a room in their home, and after agreeing that they probably wouldn't be good hosts anyways, Mike had stepped up, offering his basement as a current place to stay while you all regrouped. It was a good idea, and with how busy Karen could get during the day, you knew that she wouldn't wake up so easily to any loud noise.

So up you rode with the little girls arms around your waist, the added weight making it a bit harder to traverse the wet streets of Hawkins without the occasional slip. How you regretted not taking your car, the bigger vehicle the better option of the two in terms of lugging around children.

Finally reaching the Wheeler house, you all took the back door, quietly leaving your bikes outside. The girl had been hesitant to enter, eyes shifty and hands fidgety, but after some gentle coddling, she complied, sticking close to you as you made your way into the basement, careful of creaky floorboards.

The three boys had already made space on the couch when you descended, and you let the girl sit there, the rest of the group facing her as she got comfortable. She was still shaky, and you knew that no matter what you did, a layer of fear would still cling onto her, and you couldn't blame the reaction. Instead, all you could do was appear as non-threatening as possible, make her feel in charge of the situation.

Of course, you didn't account for the other people in the room, their curious demeanors already taking heed in the conversation.

"Is there a number we can call? For your parents?"

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?"

"Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"Is that blood?"

At the very least Mike had some decorum in his questioning, whereas Dustin and Lucas just trampled on ahead with whatever caught their eye. You even had to bat Lucas's hand away, the boy having been reaching for the scared girls dirtied shirt. "Guys, please, calm down for a second."

"Yeah, stop it! You're freaking her out!"

"She's freaking me out!"

"I bet she's deaf."

Before you could stop him, Dustin clapped his hands loudly in front of the girls face, making her flinch back in her seat. While you had been wondering if she was having any difficulties hearing you, that wasn't the approach you would have gone with, lips thinning and eyes narrowed as you sent Dustin a look. He shrinks back, gummy smile turned up to the nines as he tries his best to charm. "Not deaf."

"All right, that's enough! She's just scared and cold. Mike, could you get me some clothes that might fit her?"

Nodding, the boy stands from his place while you kneel gently and slowly, letting the girl watch over your actions. She's already proven to be jumpy to loud sounds, and you'd hate to stress her further. "Hey there, hun. I'm guessing you can understand me, right?"