It Hurts

trigger warnings~ vomit, descriptions of severe pain

dee's pov~

I wake up, in pain. It's constant, only getting escape if I have too many painkillers or I'm sleeping. I haven't told anyone about it. But I think Heavy's been noticing when I take 3 ibuprofen every morning. And I pack extra in my bag for school.

Dad's catching on a bit too. I don't eat enough, simply because it hurts later. And I typically feel full pretty fast. It also prevents more vomit than needed. But I do throw up every day. Nearly always nauseous. Throwing up at school isn't ideal, but every time so far I've made it to the bathroom.

My friends don't know either. Neither does Lif. She probably should, I'll tell her one day.

I stretch as I get up, go to the bathroom, put on some clothes. Today I'm in a bit more pain than usual so I just throw on a hoodie. Comfort over style at this point. I pack my bag and walk downstairs greeting my parents and Heavy.

"Morning."

"Good morning Dee. Would you like a muffin? They're lemon poppyseed." I knew I would regret it later, but I do like muffins.

"Sure." I take one, and walk out the door with it with Heavy following not far behind. As soon as we're halfway to the bus stop I pause. I didn't take any ibuprofen. And I don't have any in my bag. This day is going to suck.

"Everything okay Dee? Why did you stop?"

"I thought I left something at home, but I didn't." I say, immediately afterwards taking a bite out of my muffin. We get to the bus stop and I have to sit. I finish my muffin just as the bus pulls up. Lif's stop is next so, I get into an empty seat and just sit on my phone. My stomach makes some unpleasant noises.

"Hi Dee!" Lif pulls me out of my thoughts as she sits next to me and kisses my cheek. Just then I get a pang of ouch in my stomach and I clutch it. I kiss her back on her cheek, then she notices my arms around my stomach.

"Love does your stomach hurt?"

"No, was just making some weird noises. Needed it to stop." I laugh nervously.

"Alright love." She looks past me, out the window. "Is something bothering you? You seem anxious."

"I thought I left something important at home but I didn't. That's all." I've gotten pretty good at lying straight through my teeth.

"Alright baby." She lays my head on her shoulder and plays with my ponytail a bit. Another dose of pain in my abdomen causes me to flinch. And of course, here comes the nausea. I involuntarily make a quiet whining sound, then purse my lips to make it cease.

lif's pov~

"Shhh it's alright baby. It's alright." I whisper as I stroke his hair. Something seems very off about him. The bus stops at the school, so we grab our bags and get off. We hold hands as we walk in. "Are you sure everything's alright my love? You seem very out of it. It's alright to be not alright."

"I just woke up with a stomach ache. That's all."

"Love it's alright to tell me these things. Just take it easy today, okay?" He fidgets with the hoodie strings.

"I have PE. But I'll be fine, don't worry about me angel." I give him a look and he does that cute awkward giggle.

"Take it easy. If you need to, go to the nurse."

"I'll be fine-"

"I'm serious. Okay, I'll see you in chem. Bye, love you!" With that, I spin around and go to English.

~time skip~

I walk with Dee from the chemistry classroom to the lunchroom, pulling out the paper sack in my backpack. He gets in the lunch line, and shortly after comes back with his food. He picks at it quite a bit, eating it still but very slowly.

dee's pov~

I pick at my lunch, and Lif is definitely noticing. So I eat enough, getting very full very fast. A wave of nausea hits me, but I stay quiet.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom." I say, praying I make it in time to throw up in a toilet.

"Love, I need you to be honest with me. Do you have an eating disorder?" I look at her in shock.

"No! No! I don't I promise!"

"Then why, every day during lunch, you go to the bathroom. I'm worried about you."

"I guess I just always have to go during lunch-" In my haste to defend myself, I don't notice the acidic feeling start to creep up my throat. I guess I didn't notice another wave of nausea hit. But what I did notice, right as I turned to get to the bathroom, I threw up. Right over my shoes.