Chapter 05: Meals at the Batemans

"This was a bad idea, this was a bad idea, this was a fucking bad idea..." Thought Andrew.

"Andrew, stop being so rude and introduce me to your friend." Warned Andrew's grandmother as the three of them stood in the front hallway of the apartment, ignoring the fact that he seemed to be having a moment as he massaged his temples. And mumbled to himself. "Honestly, your mother raised you better."

"Ghnn." Andrew growled, not paying attention to his grandmother. "This is a really bad idea..."

Gwen bit her lip to keep from laughing at Andrew's predicament before deciding to take pity on him and help him out a little. Shaking her head, she smiled at Andrew's grandmother and offered her hand for a handshake.

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." She said.

"Hello, Gwen." Said the older woman, shaking the teenager's hand, a smile on her face, though she continued to frown disapprovingly. "My name is Jeanne. And I apologize for my grandson's behavior, honestly, I don't know what's wrong with him."

Andrew glared at his grandmother. His problem was that since his mother was kind enough not to tell embarrassing stories about him, but his grandmother made up for it, unfortunately. She had done it well when she met Beth.

"There's no problem, Jeanne." Gwen nodded. "I don't think Andrew expected you to be here, that's probably what he's a little afraid of."

"I was already visiting his mother." Answered Jeanne before looking at her grandson. "Andrew, why don't you take Gwen into the living room? Your mother and I are still cooking dinner and I'm sure you'd rather avoid the smell of fish until we're done."

"Fine." He sighed before motioning for Gwen to follow him. "Let's go, it's best not to embarrass my mom and grandma until they're done cooking."

"Okay." Gwen agreed before following him to the stairs at the end of the hallway.

Once they reached the living room, Andrew plopped down on one of the chairs with an annoyed and frustrated grunt as he rubbed the sides of his head to relieve his headache.

"Are you okay?" Sitting down on the couch, Gwen raised an eyebrow at him, a hint of a smile on her lips.

"Oh, I'm fine." He muttered sarcastically.

"Cool." She smiled.

That's when a German Shepherd came quickly into the room, came towards Andrew and stood up on his hind legs, placing his front paws on Andrew's legs, licking his face while squeaking a little between licks. Obviously happy to see the teenager again.

"Yes, yes Onyx, I'm glad to see you too." Smiled Andrew, the presence of the dog, seemed to make him forget the boulevard of embarrassing situation that awaited him.

"Is this your dog?" Asked Gwen.

"It's a female. But yes. My mom adopted her as a reward for my black belt in krav maga." Answered Andrew by making some papouilles to the dog. What did not fail to amuse Gwen. "But seriously, of all days, why did grandma choose to come now?" He wondered aloud as he scratched the underside of Onyx's mouth, which did not fail to please the animal in view of the speed at which his tail wagged.

"Why, is your grandmother so bad?" Asked Gwen.

"No, she's not bad. She's very nice. But she has absolutely no problem telling every story from my childhood." He grumbled as he looked at his dog who decided to go to Gwen to claim some caress..

"Aw, so tonight I'll enjoy stories about Kid-Andrew?" Smiled Gwen while stroking the German Shepherd.

"And you're proud of this one?" Said the teenager, glaring at her.