Chapter 07: The hospital

It was evening when Isabelle Bateman walked out the front doors of the gym where she went almost constantly. Especially since Andrew had since grown up and come out of the house to attend Visions. So now she could go back to the gym where she had once gone religiously during her time as a Taskmaster and stay in shape.

Fortunately, New York was a city that never slept and as such, the light shone on her way home. Allowing him to see an albino man emerge from the shadows, standing in his way with a cigarette stuck between his teeth as he inhaled the tobacco. Looking over her shoulder to check for both an escape route and the man's accomplice, she found the man she recognized as Adrian Toomes, better known as Vulture, standing some distance behind her.

Damn, and she was there without her weapons.

Sighing, she set her duffel bag on the ground as she rolled her shoulders and neck. She had a turkey to fry and a snowman to melt.

-----------------------------

...Queens...

"Is he okay?" Spider-Ham asked Spider-Noir.

Spider-Noir could only shrug.

"No idea." He answered.

When Gwen saw Andrew freeze in place with shock and his phone slipping out of his hand, she knew something was wrong, something important and vital to him. She walked over to him.

"What's wrong?" She asked aloud, hoping he would answer her.

Receiving no answer, Gwen crouched down to pick up her phone, which was still on the line with whoever was calling her.

"Hello? Mr. Bateman, are you there?" Said the person on the phone.

"Hello, this is Gwen Stacy, I'm a friend of Andrew's." She answered as she stood up. "He uh, he's busy." She glanced at Andrew and saw that he hadn't moved, however, his arm had started to shake. "And I don't think he's okay. Can you tell me what's going on?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Stacey, but I can't divulge that information to you, you must understand. But if it is possible, can you take Andrew to New York-Presbyterian in Queens, I tried to call his grandmother, but she is unavailable at this time." Said the doctor.

"Yeah, sure." Answered Gwen.

"Thank you, Andrew's mother is being treated on the third floor. Just signal a nurse and she'll send you to me." Said the doctor.

"Presbyterian, third floor, got it, thanks." She answered before hanging up the phone. "Okay, guys, the data takes time to sift through, so I'm taking Andrew to the hospital. This is his mother."

The other spider-heroes simply nodded, the spider-bot waving a hand over his shoulder while Peni was distracted by the information on her screen. May, however, was casting a contemplative look that kept shifting from Gwen to Andrew. She certainly wasn't blind to the nuances of romance and she could see it sprouting between these two teenagers.

"Would you like me to come with you." She offered.

Gwen simply shook her head as she lightly gripped Andrew's arm, coaxing him to follow her. And the moment her hand touched his arm, she seemed to have shaken it he headed for the elevator weakly, still in shock over what he had just learned throughout the day.

"Do you know what hospital you're going to?" Asked May as the elevator went up.

"Yeah, Queens Presbyterian." Answered Gwen, nodding her head. "Is it at 56-45 Main Street in this universe?"

"Yes." May nodded as the elevator arrived in the hangar. "You two okay on your own?"

Before another word could be said, Andrew wove a web to go up faster than the elevator, leaving Gwen behind. The teenager let out an annoyed sigh, pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration.