Part 3

'You seem to be a little flustered,' Holtzmann said the next week as she watched Erin move things around on her desk, letting out little frustrated sighs. She picked up the Swiss Army knife that sat next to her laptop and she twirled it briefly in her fingers, inhaling a little and then putting it back down. It was early evening and Holtzmann and Erin had spent most of the day at their desks, Erin stepping out to get them lunch although both eating individually at their desks. Holtz beginning a build on an extra proton pack and Erin working on some documents for Columbia.

Holtz watched as Erin picked up the knife again, looking at it and then slipping it in her pocket.

'Er?'

Erin didn't reply and the blonde watched from her own desk, and she put her soldering tools down, the yellow goggles that sat over her eyes she pushed up to her hairline.

'Erin?'

'Sorry Holtz,' Erin said, letting out another sigh and standing from her chair, 'I have a date, I'm just a little nervous.'

'Oh....a date,' Holtzmann said with interest, standing up from her own chair and snaking her way around to Erin's desk, perching herself on the edge. 'Telllll me?'

Erin chuckled, sitting back down, 'Nothing to tell. Known him for a couple weeks, that guy I mentioned the other night....he's a professor at Columbia.'

'Oh, so he asked you out Miss Gilbert, was it romantic?'

Erin laughed, leaning her elbows on the desk, and looking at the woman, 'No, nothing romantic about it,' Erin laughed nervously, 'it was in a corridor full of students going to classes. But he was sweet.'

Holtz smiled, 'What's he a professor of?'

'Psychology.'

Erin nodded, clasping her hands together on her desk.

'He cute? Handsome?'

Erin laughed again, watching as Holtz tilted her head, waiting for an answer, and she could tell from all the laughing that Erin was very anxious, overwhelmed.

The brunette shook her head with a smile, 'I guess so.'

'Well I hope so, coz you're a pretty lady and then you'll be a super-hot couple.'

'Jillian.' the woman replied with a smile.

Holtz laughed, 'Where are you going for your date?'

'Just a bar, he suggested it, local, I think. Have a drink.'

They were quiet for a moment, and then Holtz spoke, 'What are you nervous about?'

Erin inhaled sharply, 'Not being liked, being boring.'

'Er,' Holtz said, her brows creasing. 'You are far from boring. And you are so easy to like.'

'Thanks Holtz. I just get nervous dating, I never know what to say, how to act. I just get flustered.'

'It's a first date, you're allowed to be anxious. It's pretty normal.'

Erin inhaled, her shoulders rising, and she let them drop hard.

Holtzmann nodded with a knowing smile, her eyes glancing at the bunch of drooping daisies that were sitting in a vase on Erin's desk, and the brunette followed her gaze. They were silent for a bit, Erin wanted to ask the blonde about any potential dates and just as she opened her mouth Holtz clicked her tongue and stood up.

'You should probably get rid of them.'

Erin looked from the woman to the flowers.

'They're wilting.'