chapter five

He inserts himself into Meesh's seat, waving Rusty over for a drink. Rusty complies begrudgingly, handing him a vodka. Alex downs half of it in one go. It looks like he's already been drinking, probably at the booths by the ring. I don't have the energy for this tonight. I'd rather watch the rivalries on the Production than focus on my own.

"Can we not do this right now, please?" I ask.

"Do what? We're just talking."

"I'd rather not be."

"Oh yeah? What would you rather do instead?"

I instantly pick up on the predatory tone of the question, shifting away from him. Rusty's eyes follow my motion, his lips slightly pursed. Alex is always causing problems in his establishment, and he's been kicked out plenty of times for fighting other patrons. Alex causes problems everywhere, and it's only gotten worse since he lost his players. I know his ego can't take much more. But I refuse to be the punching bag for his insecurities.

"Don't you have someone else to bother?"

"But you're so much fun to bother."

"You're an asshole."

"And you're a bitch."

"Hey, watch it," Rusty says, still watching us with one eye.

Alex just laughs, raising his vodka in a cheers. The comment doesn't phase me. Unfortunately, it's normal coming from Alex.

"Just knock it off, Alex. Haven't you had enough?"

His face twists into a sneer. He's so quick to anger—so unable to regulate his emotions or impart even a modicum of self control.

"You think you're better than me?"

"I never said that."

"But you think it, don't you? And you don't even win," he sneers, his eyes raking over my body, judging my appearance as well as my ethics. "You lose. Every time."

"I literally won today."

"Barely."

I snort. We both know that's not true. I might not have won by a landslide, but I gave the fight my all and deserved that victory.

"Is that what this is about?" I ask. "Are you saying you'd respect me if I won?"

"I'm saying you don't deserve—"

But apparently I won't get a chance to hear what I don't deserve because at that moment Meesh returns, placing herself firmly in front of me. Her motherly presence is starkly at odds with the tension between me and Alex, who's eyeing her with mild annoyance, as if she's just spoiled a fun surprise.

"Beat it, Alex," she says.

Alex seems to be weighing his options. But between me, Meesh, and Rusty all staring at him, he seems to decide this isn't the moment to make his move. His sneer deepens as he stands, and he shoves his glass across the counter without paying.

"See you tomorrow, Riley," he says only to me, giving me a wink that's completely opposite of the one Rusty gave Meesh earlier. This wink is a challenge, and not one that I want to rise to.

I feel a definitive sense of relief when his profile finally disappears out the door and into the night. Meesh sits down.

"You need to be careful with him, honey," she says.

"I know."

"I'm serious. Don't let him corner you like that."

"I know, Meesh. I can't always help it. It seems like he's everywhere these days."