CHAPTER ONE

"That would be 15 dollars and 3 cents, sir," the cashier says as she clicks away the bill for the purchased groceries. Standing behind the counter, she waited for the customer.

A man in a navy blue hoodie, beige cargo pants, and black glasses nod his head while he draws the card from his wallet. He places the card on the counter and steps back making sure not even his shade touches the human in front of him.

The cashier woman smiles professionally while her green eyes followed the man's actions. She found it very weird, one was that his clothes were too casual and thin for the snow that was piling outside of the store. And two he had glasses on at ten in the night and inside of the store.

"Strange," she thought.

Nevertheless, she hands over the items being thoughtful enough to put them on the counter for him to collect.

The man nods a "thank you" and just walks out of the store without looking back. His strides were steady and long but he did maintain a low pace. Maybe that would help him not to bump into anyone or anything in a rush.

Not that people would walk around the streets like him at minus degree temperature.

He turns left at the fourth street where he could spot his apartment. A few steps in and he reaches his place. He slides his hand on the chilled wand of the staircase, as the heat of his body heated the rod pretty quick. He takes the steps calmly as he had all the time in the world.

Maybe he did have it.

Canada gets very chilled at night especially when it's Christmas time. The snow that piles up here barely melts down in the day. The apartments around his were very well lit, each of them gave vibes of family.

A word that he had forced himself away from.

It has been six years since he has seen his only family, his brother's face. Blake calls him every day, without a miss, while he answers them alternatively.

That did not mean that he was not sitting on the couch with his old gadget on the table, while his legs tapped the rhythm of anxiety and his ears longed for the ring.

He did.

He just stared at the phone to stop ringing one day while the other day he couldn't stop himself from picking it up. He missed his brother, his reason for life but he still wanted to hide in this hole, he called his apartment, forever.

Still, it's been more than a week since the man picked up his brother's call. It was his nephew, Kian's birthday next week and like always Blake would insist his brother come down to South Carolina. He happened to turn his brother down every single time saying he had some work to do.

But he was unsure of himself this time. He missed his family too much, not to go. If he would hear his brother's voice and then he would definitely meltdown.

He reaches his flat on the twelfth floor. He turns his keys in the keyhole and holds the knob to open the door. The first thing he did as he stepped in was to remove his glasses and put them on the desk beside the door, which already had a couple of sleek shades sitting.

[A/N: My man only wears black glasses but he still got variations in them too. Swag!]

His black orbs shimmer at once glancing through the nooks of the apartment, making sure that everything was in place. The once ready-for-action fighter in him was always on alert.

The apartment was huge for a single soul to live in but perfect for a couple. The living room was not lit as the warlock did not really need any light to see things.