At the bakery

Priya unlocked the bakery and came inside. She didn't turn on the lights. She wanted to be in darkness for a while. She would spend a few hours here and then just as the day would break, she would go away from Mumbai. Mr. Kapoor would surely come looking for her here the moment he saw the letter in the morning. So she had to leave early. Where to, she did not know. All she knew was that she had to go far away from Mr. Kapoor and Pihu, away from Mumbai. Her heart was breaking to be away from them, especially Pihu, but she comforted herself by thinking that Pihu would finally have a comfortable and stable life. She would be able to go to the best school, and her father would ensure that she lacked for nothing. Mr. Kapoor would be a very good father, and more so, because he would want to catch up for the past five years!

But she, how would she survive? Once again, her fate had taken away the person who meant the most to her! Yes, it was her decision, but that didn't mean that fate had no role to play in it. Mahender Sood had been right all along. She did not deserve happiness. Why else would such things happen to her only? From her childhood she had never received a father's love, the first man she had felt something for ditched her for her younger, prettier, more glamorous sister. Finally when she married Ram, she began to come out of her shadow, learnt to trust, learnt to love, but who knew that her greatest curse was waiting round the corner? Who knew that her father and her brother in law had murdered her husband's father; who knew that her nephew would end up pushing her husband's sister and she would end up dying? But the biggest betrayal was yet to come! Yes, the woman who had been her greatest support throughout her life had ended up supporting her other daughter and grandson over Ram and Priya. Priya would never ever forgive Meera for what she did even though she had begun basic communication with her again after five years recently. The moment Shivi died, Priya knew she could not face Ram again. She had promised to take care of Shivi and she had failed. Nandini and Mr. Kapoor would never forgive her. And then came jail, and Nandini blackmailing her into making that horrible promise and the final separation from Mr. Kapoor.

Priya sank to the ground, totally broken. She cried and cried thinking of Pihu, Mr. Kapoor and what could have been, till she passed out and lost her consciousness.

II

Ram, Adi and Vikrant knocked on the bakery door. There was no response. 

"Ram, looks like Priya didn't come here. Look, the lights are off and no one is responding. If Priya was here, she would have opened the door."

"She's here, Adi. I just know it."

Meanwhile, Vikrant had removed one of the boards placed on the bakery wall and got a spare set of keys for the bakery.

"Ram, take this. Sara had told me that she always keeps a spare set of keys hidden here. I had used it when I got the bakery decorated for our proposal. Let's use this to open the doors."

Ram almost snatched the keys from Vikrant and opened the bakery doors. He turned on the light and immediately saw Priya, lying unconscious on the floor.

"Priyaaaa...", Ram screamed! "Adi, Vikrant! Quickly get some water! Priya, wake up! You cannot do this to me! After 5 years, you cannot leave me and go. And more than me, you cannot leave Pihu and go! I won't let you!."

As Ram sprinkled water on Priya's face, calling out her name continuously, he knew that this time he could not let her go. He WOULD NOT let her go! They would sit, they would talk, they would sort out all misunderstandings, but Priya would be with him, whatever it took.

"Mr. Kapoor...what are you doing here?" Priya weakly spoke as she opened her eyes and saw him. "Is my Pihu alright? Please tell me she is okay, I left her in your care."

"She's fine Priya. She is sleeping. Sara and Brinda are with her. How are you feeling? Please don't stress, the doctor is coming."

"I am fine, Mr. Kapoor. Tomorrow is a very important day for you. I have been praying that all goes well. So I was fasting. That's why I fainted. Please go to Pihu. She may wake up, and she will anyway be upset not to see me. You have to go and be with her Mr. Kapoor. You have to be both father and mother to her."

" I will go, Priya, but not alone. I will take you back with me to Kapoor Mansion, and we will talk. We have a lot to talk about. But one thing is for sure, you are not leaving me again."

"Your mother, Shubham, Vedika....they don't want me to be with you Mr. Kapoor. You are anyway going to marry Vedika. Bus, use bolna ki meri Pihu ka khayal rakhe. Wo achhi aurat nahi hain."

Priya was drifting in and out of consciousness even as she was speaking to Ram. He kept sprinkling water on her and stroking her, willing her to stay awake. But Priya was still in a trance.

"I only ever loved you Mr. Kapoor, truly madly deeply. And I kept my promise. I did not let anyone harm you....I love you, Ram."

And then Priya lost consciousness again.

to be continued...