Chapter Fifteen

The door to the building groaned against Mikey's pushing it, but let him in with a sharp squeal. He's been waiting for me, he thought sourly, pushing it harshly behind him and it slammed shut.

   Striding through the lit hallway, he thought about his brothers and his heartbeat always kicked up when he thought that he would have to tell them what he really was doing. Leo was already suspicious, and if he kept this up, the other would be too. But he did manage to icing things up pretty well when he mentioned patrolling.

   Why did I have to mention that? he groaned.

   He met Brief in the same weapon room. Like last time, he was geared up as if for a battle, but Mikey doubted he would need them. His last mission had been short. Brief probably only wanted him to feel like he was really contributing to something. Well, this Mikey, filled with stress and determination, could see through the colors now. The bouncy child of his old self was only a shadow now.

   "I meant to ask," Brief said slowly, checking he had everything he needed before he entered the portal, "how old are you?"

   Michelangelo shot him a glance. "I work for you. That does not give you the right to pry into my life."

   He laughed, but it was loud and mechanical. "Of course. It just seemed to me that you were young, and I wanted to know. But never mind. Now, for this world, I am not sure which room the folder is in, so you will need to do some scouting, something I know you can handle well."

   The turtle nodded.

   "All right. That should be everything," the man said, tightening up a loose strap. "Are you ready?"

   Mikey sighed and jerked his head, indicating he did not really have a choice. With no more words, the man made a portal gasp into life and he stepped through, into a world of white.

   He blinked at the brightness of it as the sounds of the portal dying dimmed behind him. Boy, everything is so white! he thought, looking around. He realized that he was on a flat roof in a white and gray city. He went to the edge and looked down. His eyes widened when he saw the cars and people were all white and light gray too. They walked on with their life, oblivious to the creature spying on them.

   Sucking in a breath, he looked down to grab his Kusari-fundo just in case he needed it, when he gasped.

   "Oh my gosh, I am white too!" Amazed, he forgot about his weapon.

   Suddenly, somebody gripped his arms in a vise-like hold. "Who are you?"

   Grimacing at the pain, he turned his head to see who was holding him. His mind went blank, his mouth slack, and he inhaled sharply, staring at the figures behind him. They all looked similar to each other and wore masks, actually colored, yet each of their body poses were wildly different. The one holding him was glaring fire at him and wearing a red mask. The tallest one was wearing a purple mask and watching him with a mouth half open. Another, with a blue mask, was carefully looking him over. And the last one was bouncing everywhere, his short orange mask tails jerking everywhere.

   "Oh maii goooosh," the orange one cheered. "There's another one! I thought--"

   "Shut up, Mikey!" the upset one shouted.

   The bouncy Mikey instantly stopped and crossed his arms, pouting. The other one lost his breath, unable to do anything at that moment.

   "You." He turned to the first Michalengelo. "Talk. What are you doing here? Why do you look like us? Where did you come from? What is your name?"