Chapter Eighteen

Mikey felt rebellious. He did not want to go forward. Brief was dangerous. And yet his brothers and some identical duplicates lurked somewhere nearby, waiting for him to open the door.

   He clenched his fists and steadied his shaking body. He could do this. Right? He was strong enough to go along with the plan.

   Right?

   Gritting his teeth, he shook his head as if trying to dispel that last thought.

   Whatever. Just do it.

   He opened the door.

   Brief's back was facing him. Gulping, Mikey stood there, waiting to be noticed.

   "You took your time."

   Mikey flinched. "What do you mean?"

   Brief whirled. "And yet I am surprised how quickly you worked. Getting those other turtles on your side? Man, I never thought you could do that. But there is one flaw with your plan." He advanced menacingly. "I have spy's. And an army."

   Mikey stood there, dumbfounded. Oh my gosh, the army! How the heck could I have forgotten about that! And he has spy's? Then how the heck are we supposed to take him down?

   Brief smiled sinisterly. "Yep, little turtle. You cannot defeat me. But nice try. Now, are you going to continue to work for me, or should I kill your brothers?"

   Mikey exhaled. No, no! This should not have happened! How do I tell them? This is just a trap for us all! Gulping, he answered, "I-I'll work."

   He smiled. "All right. LIAR!" With surprising speed, he lunged at Mikey. The turtle in orange gasped and flexed his muscles, but he still lost his breath when he hit the wall behind him.

   "Change of plans!" he heard his brother, Raph, call out.

   How did they get in?

   Brief got up and grabbed Mikey's arm, jerking him up as well.

   Mikey slipped his hand into his sash and took out his nunchucks which he quickly swung and lashed out with.

   "Okay, but what now?"

   He realized his mistake when Brief's eyes widened slightly.

   Great, he reprimanded himself. Now I just told him that we have absolutely no idea what we are doing without a plan. Nicely done, Mikey. What else can you screw up?

   Glowering, he squatted, watching Brief for a moment before he threw himself at the door. Flinging it open, he squeaked when he saw the mob of shiny metal and pointy swords and promptly slammed it shut again.

   "What?" Brief mocked. "Not what you were expecting?"

   That was when Mikey's brothers dropped down behind the man. He tried not to bring attention to them so he pushed himself against the door, as if he could keep the army out that way.

   "Once you rule everything, what then?" he asked, stalling for time. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw his brothers doing something. Leo started panicking silently, Raph was trying not to drop something and Donnie was shouting at both of them without making a sound. If he could have, Mikey would have face planted.

   Brief laughed at his question and advanced further. "Well, why not? Why not rule everything and control anything? Why not be a king? Why not be a leader? Why not be somebody that everybody looks up to?"

   The door handle jiggled and Mikey flinched, pushing himself harder against the door.

   Brief paused. "And where are the others? I know I heard one." He started to turn. Mikey's brothers all froze, staring at him with wide eyes.