Song

3 weeks later, I'm fairly fine and good with being in charge. I'm not as stressed, I'm not as worried, and the kids aren't as uncomfortable around me.

I pick up my phone as it starts ringing.

"Hello?" I ask, walking outside, to the garden.

"Hey Gilly! It's Sean Jonea! Ummm, I know you're busy and everything, but you never got to sing at the reunion. I was wondering if you would want to record it so that people can still hear it." The person on the other end of the line says.

"Oh! I would love to. I think I have some time. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon." I say, noticing some kids trying to catch butterflies.

"Awesome! I'll seen you soon! Bye!" Sean says, hanging up.

I put my phone in the pocket of my pants and run over to the kids.

"Wait!" I yell as one of them reaches out to a butterfly.

I seem to startle the children because they jump back and stare at me, eyes wide.

"What's wrong Ms. Gilly?" One of them asks.

"You almost touched the butterfly's wings. If you had done that, the butterfly would have died." I explain.

"She's right." I new voice says. I feel an arm around my shoulders and I look to the side to see my best friend.

"You have to be carful around butterflies. They're fragile. Like feelings. It's a good lesson for life." Jax says.

"Okay. Thank you for stopping us from killing the butterfly Ms. Gilly." The youngest one says.

"You're welcome. I'm glad I could help save a butterfly." I say.

The kids run off laughing.

I smile at my friend and thank him for the help, then I head to my office.

Tomorrow, I sing.

~~~~~Time Skip~~~~~

I'm headed to my old music studio and when I finally arrive I'm greeted by a very happy, yet tired looking, Sean.

"Hey Gilly! It's great to see you again! Let's get started, the deadline is in 8 hours." She says.

"Wait, 8 hours? What?" I ask.

"Yeah, we have to sell the studio because you're not using it. It's just wasting money at this point. You got a different job." Sean explains.

"Oh. I see." I don't feel as sad as I thought I would. Maybe this really isn't what I wanted.

"Alright, let's get started. We're going to have to go fast but since we already have the music and stuff recorded, we just need you to sing." Sean informs me.

I nod and walk over to a microphone. I put on some headphones then give Sean a thumps up.

Music fills my ears and I get ready to sing.

Sober Up by AJR   (I changed some of the lyrics to better fit the story)

Hello, hello, I'm not where I'm supposed to be
I hope that you're missing me
Cuz it makes me feel young
Hello, hello, last time that I saw your face
Was graduation from our rebellious phase
And it made me feel young

(All the rest is the same except for the chorus)

Chorus: Won't you help me lighten up
Growing up it ain't no fun
And I wanna feel something again
Won't you help me lighten up
All the big kids have no fun
And I wanna feel something again

Once we finish recording I head back to FTRS. As soon as I walk through the door a bunch of students tackle me in hugs.

I laugh as they talk excitedly.

"Did you finish your song?"

"Was it fun?"

"What's the song called?"

"Can we listen to the song?"

"Alright, alright, calm down. Take a deep breath." I laugh.

They all start taking deep breaths.

"Okay, it's getting late. Run off to bed before Miri starts yelling at you." I whisper.

All the kids squeal and run to their dorms.

I smile and shake my head.

I love my job. I don't know why I was so nervous.

Everything is going to be...

"Thief!"