Chapter 1

Lilly pov:
You know how everyone always says that being the youngest child is the best, well that's a lie. Well at least in my family it is. My name is Lillian Nova Saltzman-Salvatore, I was adopted by Caroline Forbes-Salvatore and Alaric Saltzman when I was 6 months old and my now older twin sisters Josie and Lizzie were 3. Flashforward 11 1/2 years and here we are, I'm a 12 year old banshee witch mix with a vampire mother who is almost never home, a human father who is always more focused on the school and making sure Hope Mikaelson has a father figure than making sure that his daughters have a father figure, making sure that his daughters have a father figure, and 15 year old siphoner witches as older sisters who seem to hate me. I mean I understand but sometimes I wish they didn't hate me so much, it's not my fault that Mom had to start going on recruitment missions for the Salvatore School a few months after her and Dad adopted me! So if they really hated me then maybe they wouldn't be trying to take over everything and make me do their bidding, well more Lizzie than Josie on that front. Josie just really goes along with it because Lizzie's her twin, they have been by each others side since the womb. But I think what I find most irritating about this all, well the biggest annoyance actually, is that they don't trust me at all! That's why I have taken refuge in my room for days on end, and I've tried to lock myself away for good but no such luck. I've tried talking to Mom or Dad but either they're too busy or they don't want to hear it, which is totally understandable because they love the twins more than anything else in the world. And it's okay, it's not like I mind, I love my parents more than life itself and even though they can be a little weird, I still love them, it's just hard to come up with things to say when I need someone around.
It's getting late and I still haven't heard from my mother yet. I sigh as I pull out my phone and see I have two new messages, one of them is from Josie, the other is from Lizzie. What is up with these girls? It's not like they care about me enough to talk to me unless they get something off their chest. Maybe they just needed to vent a little bit? I guess that's one way to look at it. Well regardless of whether or not they wanted to talk to me, it doesn't matter right now because they have been ignoring me for days now and I'd rather be in peace and quiet than dealing with it. I quickly decide to ignore both of them and turn off my phone before I hear any more annoying comments from either of them. As I set my phone down onto the bedside table, I try and focus on the movie I've picked out for the night. Unfortunately for me, sleep refuses to come to my aid tonight. I sigh again and toss and turn but there isn't an ounce of relief as I try to relax.
I wake up around three in the morning with a sudden jolt as a nightmare threatens to overtake me, it's been happening quite often lately. I slowly sit upright and begin shaking slightly while staring at my hands. Suddenly I feel someone wrap their arms around my shoulders and whisper comforting words into my ear. The only response I give is a muffled cry and burying my face deeper into the shoulder of whoever the hell is holding me in their lap. It's warm and safe so there is no reason to move but I feel like crying anyways. I try and steady my breathing but I can't control my shaking or the tears that continue to fall from my eyes.
"Shhh...Shhh...You're alright," the voice repeats softly.
I realize that whoever the person holding me is is rocking me gently and whispering reassurances into my ears to calm me. They continue whispering until the trembling ceases, once I have stopped sobbing quietly, they shift their grip on me and gently push me back to lay against the pillow. Once my head hits the soft pillows I immediately curl into myself and close my eyes, hoping to drift off to sleep soon. After a moment though I open my eyes again and notice that the blankets are gone from my lap, I glance down and see that someone has replaced the covers.
"I'm right here Lilo," the person says as they pull me closer to their chest again and tuck me under a warm blanket. I finally manage a weak smile and snuggle further beneath the warm covers to try and escape this cold feeling within me.
"Thanks..." is all I manage to mumble before falling asleep.
(A/N: I'm so sorry that this took so long, I've just been busy with surgery and various visits to the doctor, and helping my brother move into college)