Chapter 44

Scanning the room for cameras or any tiny hidden security features, we walk in tense and alert ready to run back into the party crowd if we're captured on surveillance.

Finding none, I head towards the messy desk and take off my mask, the password protected screen a welcoming image and a sly smile tugs at the corner of my lips.

Zander pulls out his phone from the pocket of his tux, unlocking the screen to reveal a photo of us from the park.

It catches me off guard since I've never pictured myself to appear so carefree.

I was laughing heartily, and so was he. Even the sunglasses at five in the morning seemed secondary when you saw how happy we looked - it's there in the photo and that's what attracts your attention.

Recovering from the shock, I draw my eyes back to the phone where Zander's pulled up the password to Randy's computer. We were lucky that Celia's uncle knew a guy, who knew a guy.

Once in, we do a bit of exploring until we find the correct email to send out the samples of photos and the article we've written up, including a few sentences from the matchmakers of C&C.

Submitting a body of text to numerous editors, with the tagline that Randy would be unavailable to answer any more questions or respond back due to a flight, I highlight that and ensure it's explicit.

The last thing we needed was the man himself to return before any of this can be printed. We wanted Randy to come home to editors singing his praises in which he'd be in too deep to claim that none of this is his doing.

Hitting 'send' on the final email, I breath a shaky sigh and give Zander whose walked over to guard the door, a thumbs up.

Is this how spies feel? Adrenaline and relief intermingling?

The mission itself took less effort than getting ready for this extravagant party but I'm not going to complain since there were already unexpected factors involved - Xeno being one of them.

Leaning against the chair, I give one more sigh and then rearrange the desk back to its original chaotic state with papers and photos littered everywhere.

Walking to the door I put my mask back on and Zander cracks it open to spy down the hall, making sure that no one catches us leaving.

"I can't believe we did it!" I exclaimed in a whisper.

Scratching the back of his neck, Zander gives me a pensive smile. "Well, all that's left is for the press to finally come to us for a real interview. One where they're not bought out by you-know-who and I get to finally be given a chance to be authentic."

"That'll be the easiest part of this if Patrick can manage to make it through the night," I said grimacing, watching the man in question stand with a drink in his hand, fixated on Celia.

We've managed to make it down the hall, no one suspecting a thing and back to the main party area. All the tension has worked up an appetite, and I instinctively head for the long train of food tables with platters of catered food.

Zander shares my hunger, topping a plate with appetizers and a generous helping of sushi and I'm about to do the same but nearly drop my plate as my eyes roam and land on the fountain of chocolate and the teppenyaki served at one end by a chef.

Adult parties for the win.

Turning to Zander who's stuffing his face with sushi, I give him a look of determination. "I'll be right back."

Making a beeline for the teppanyaki, I almost collide into the person trying to get a better view of the live cooking performance.

"Sorry," I said apologetically.