Healing

An: Not spell check! (Just like every other chapter, Loll.)

I never thought I would have to re- learn how to write my name.

I stare at the paper in front of me, my hand shaking as I try to follow the dotted lines with a pencil. I have written my name about thirty times now, each time wishing I had my right hand.

The doctor said that it was hardest when people lose their dominant hand. Their lives are thrown into a whirlwind, learning how to function using their weaker arm.

   At least I can get dressed by myself again.

  My Mama sits not far from me, reading a novel. I joke about her reading cheesy romances, but I have actually taken up the hobby myself. It keeps my mind off my current predicament.

The alarm goes off on my phone, and I reach over, pressing the screen with my thumb. My mom looks up from her book.

  "Do you need help, Kale?" She asks, like she always does. I shake my head, putting the pencil down as I stand, exiting the dinning room.

  I am living at my parents house temporarily, at least until my retirement fund is sorted out. The house is nice, about an hour away from Fighter-town, where Bob is training. He comes to the house every Saturday.

  The Navy is required to pay me every month for my injury, although I fought to get my job as a mechanic back. Deep down, I knew it was useless, but I still tried.

  Gustav even vouched for me, going to the board.
  "She is the best mechanic we've got," he said. "She can work with just her left hand: She's a tough gal."

  Of course, they said no, supplying me with a check every month that they think outweighs the lost of my hand. Fancy that.

  I make my way to my room, stopping at the door and staring at myself in the full length mirror, assessing myself. I look the same, really, besides my right arm.

   Every— other day I have physical therapy, where I stretch my shoulder and walk on a treadmill. The doctor said he is surprised on how much motion I have on my elbow, merely nine months after 'The accident'.

  I walk over to my desk, sliding open the drawer. Taking out the bottle of medicine, I struggle to open it with one hand. Sighing, I press it to the counter, trying to use my fingers to pry it open.

  "Need help?" Bob's voice asks, and I shake my head.

  "I've got it." I say, although I continue to struggle.

  Bob's footsteps echo until he is standing behind me,  and I sigh, handing him the bottle.

  "All of this is stupid." I mutter, looking down at my feet. He sighs, his arms wrapping around my shoulders as I lean into him.

  "You're doing great, Kale. You know that, right?" He says. I frown.

  "Yeah, I guess. It doesn't feel like it, though." I say, and he kisses my forehead.

  "I know." He says, rubbing my back. I inhale his sent, resting my head on his shoulder.

We stand there for a bit, until my Mom's gasp causes us to turn towards the door.

"Ah, Bob, you're here!" She exclaims, pulling Bob into a hug. He laughs, giving her and awkward- half- hug, her small frame clinging to him.

Both of my parents love Bob. Everyone does.

"Are you staying for dinner? Pat and Ben should be home soon." She says, referring to my father and brother. Bob shakes his head kindly, pushing his glasses up his nose.

"Thanks for the offer, Mrs. Kelly, but I was thinking of taking Kale out to dinner." He says shyly, glancing at me. I give him a smile, nodding.

"Oh, of course, of course." My mother says, her head bobbing up and down encouragingly, her dangly earring swinging back and forth. She is a plump woman, who is always wearing bright colors and sun dresses, and her earrings are always obnoxiously extravagant.
"Kaleigh needs to get out of the house a bit more. All she does is sit around and pout."

"I do not!" I exclaim, pointing at my boyfriend. "Not when Bob is here!"

"Bob is here?" My brother's voice echos up the stairs, excitement in his tone. We hear him pound up the stairs, sliding down the hall and stopping at the door.

"Bob!" He exclaims, and my boyfriend grins at him, accepting his 'bro-hug'. I smile.

Benjamin is taller then Bob, lanky and long, with dark hair and dark eyes. He is mischievous, always getting himself into trouble, both in school and at home. Although he is a good student, I'm surprised he is making it through high school.

"How's it going, Benjamin?" My boyfriend asks, and my brother smirks at him.

"Dad let me get a snake." He says, glancing at my mom uncertainly. My mother huffs.

"He did not."

"Did too! Come look, his name is Gerald." My brother bounds away with my mom following, muttering curses under her breath.

Bob grins at me, reaching out to grip my hand.
"I love your family." He says, just as my mom screeches from downstairs, announcing that my brother did, in fact, get a snake.

***

  I sit next to Bob in the booth, his hand on my leg. I flip through the menu with ease now, using my stump- arm to stable the pamphlet.

  "What are you getting?" Bob asks, and I shrug, leaning against him.

  "I dunno. I'm not really hungry." I say. He glances at me out of the corner of his eye, before nodding.

  "That's okay. Want to share?" He asks. I nod.

  "I'm sorry."

   "Hey, it's okay. I understand. Healing is the hardest part." He says, his arm wrapping around my shoulder, tugging me towards him.

  I love him. I think we all do, though.

  I hope you all enjoy! I sure am enjoying writing this!!

-❤️Kena