Chapter 1

Hello all,

this is a new book I'm working on :) hope you like it.

as always votes and comments aren't just welcome, they're encouraged! :)

This book, as with all my books is available completed on Amazon. :)

^ Picture of Zoey

Zoey's POV

Okay so here it goes...

My name is Zoey and for the past five years I've been living in New York. Until my psychopath of an ex almost killed me, which brings me here. Living in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, called Redwood Valley. Working in a small bakery attempting to get a fresh start. If that's even possible at this point. Everything keeps reminding me of him, of Sam.

"Miss, can you help me?" The lady's voice pulled me from my thoughts, smiling as I greeted her.

She had a dog in her arms as she sat at the counter.

"I'm starving and have been craving one of those devilish cupcakes all day."

Smiling, I reached for one of the chocolate cakes, handing it to her.

A look of lust covered her face.

"This looks wonderful." Holding in a laugh I watched as she shoved the entire cupcake in her mouth.

Once she was completely satisfied, she turned and walked out of the door. Seth started laughing, drawing my attention from her.

"I swear Z, she may be my soul mate."

"Yeah, I think you're right."

"Looks like you have another one." Seth said motioning across the room towards a couple sitting down at an available booth.

"Who the hell is he?" Seth whispered, on the verge of drooling. Curiosity getting the better of me I decide to turn to see who Seth is drooling over.

My eyes found a stunning pair of pale blue eyes staring back.

"He is most definitely checking you out Z."

I barely heard him over the pounding of my heart, the guy was gorgeous. He looked like a model, from the pale blue eyes to his messy blonde hair.

There was something unnerving about the way he was staring at me, like he couldn't look away. My whole body feels rooted to the floor, in this moment he owns me, I'm putty in his hands.

With just one look, he owns me. The entire café is witnessing our odd stare down, and yet, I still can't find the will to turn away.

The phone he's been holding falls to the table, his mouth hanging open a bit.

The girl with him rushes to pick it up. A wave of jealousy hits me as she hands it to him, sticking her chest out and brushing her hand against his in the process. My eyes narrow and I have to fight the urge to not rip her hair from her head.

The exchange seems to snap him from the trance we've been in. His eyes turn to the she-bitch, and it feels like I can finally breathe again. Inhaling deeply, as quietly as possible, trying my darndest to not let on how affected I am by him. I walk to his table, trying to play off the whole thing like it never happened.

I can practically feel Seth burning a hole through the back of my head from how hard he's staring but no way am I acknowledging him right now. He visibly straightened in his seat as I reached him.

"Hi, what can I get for you guys?" I asked in the sweetest voice I could muster.

He tries to answer but the girl speaks up, interrupting him before he could speak. Wrapping her arm around him possessively and glaring at me as she talks.

"We'll take two waters and two slices of pumpkin pie."

If she doesn't take her arm off of him, I'm going to kill the bitch.

"I'll be right back."

What's wrong with me?

"Do you know him?" Seth whispered in my ear as I grabbed their food.

Shaking my head, I plated up the pies.

Seth however looked unconvinced.

"Well, he knows you."

Ignoring him, I carried the food and drinks back to the table. The she-bitch glared at me as I set it down in front of her, her date never took his eyes off of me.

He went to speak only to be interrupted by the blonde with him.

"You can go now."

Without another word I turned and headed back to Seth.

"Okay, explain."

I let my eyes drift off towards the blue-eyed stranger, his eyes were staring directly at me. As if he couldn't look away.

Ignoring the butterflies, he was giving me with that intense stare, I turned back to Seth.

"There's nothing to explain."

Rolling his eyes, he went back to work as he drawled.

"Sure, it's completely normal for a guy to drool over the waitress whilst on a date."

I felt my hands curl into fists at the word date, what's wrong with me.

"All I'm saying is that if a guy that hot looked at me the way he's looking at you, I'd jump him right here. Date or not."

Sighing, I picked up a cloth and started cleaning the empty tables. Trying to ignore the burning gaze on my back.

My eyes stayed trained on the table's, so when a smooth velvety voice spoke behind me, I jumped startled.

"Excuse me?"

My hand flew to my chest, trying to steady my racing heart. I knew before turning, exactly who the voice belonged to. The perfect voice to match the perfect face.

Taking a breath I turned to him, plastering a smile on my face.

His eyes locked with mine as he shuffled on his feet, his hand going through his hair.

"I didn't mean to scare you, I just..."

"It's fine, you need your bill, right? I'll get it for you."

Stepping around him, I walked back to the counter. Printing off their order before turning to go back to him, only to find him standing right behind me.

Jumping slightly, I took a step back. Something flashed in his eyes as I moved away.

Hurt.

It couldn't be? Could it, that made no sense. Choosing to ignore the strange exchange between us, I handed him his bill.

When his mouth moved to speak, I cut him off, wanting to finish the conversation before I took Seth's advice.

"Your date looks angry, you might want to get back to her."

His eyes leave me to look at the blonde waiting impatiently at the door. With a sigh, he turns back to me. His eyes looked conflicted as they stared at me.

"You may be right."

Handing me a twenty-dollar bill he turns to leave, his eyes going back to me as he walks away.

As soon as they leave the café I feel the air return to my lungs, thankful for the space to think.

What the hell just happened?