Chapter 3

^ Zoey's Shirt

Zoey's POV

Seth rolled his eyes as he watched me work on the Sunday crossword.

"What are you staring at?"

Taking a seat on the opposite side of the table he raised an eyebrow at me, pointing at the paper in my hands.

"You're doing that in pen."

Taking my eyes off the paper I stared at him confused.

"So?"

"So, why do you work here? You're way too smart for this place."

Shaking my head, I went back to my paper.

"You're being ridiculous, a crossword does not prove intelligence."

"How about reading a different book every day?"

A chuckle slipped through my lips as I stared at the paper, no longer able to concentrate on the puzzle.

"I don't read a book, a day."

"Oh really?" he drawled.

"So, I like to read. That doesn't prove anything."

"Sure, it doesn't."

With a shake of his head, Seth stood up and went back to work. Leaving me to finish my puzzle.

After a few minutes of quiet, a chair scraped as someone sat down at my table. Sighing, I looked up from the paper. Ready to shoo Seth off.

Instead, my eyes met a familiar pair of pale blue ones.

A shiver ran through me as his eyes travelled over me, before returning to my own.

"Can I help you?"

Biting his lip, he drummed his fingers on the table as if he was unsure of himself.

The movement had my eyes going to his lips, I couldn't stop myself from imagining what they would feel like against mine.

A smirk spread over his face as he caught me staring.

"I didn't get a chance to introduce myself yesterday, I'm Hunter King."

He reached a hand across the table, waiting for me to shake it.

Hunter...

It fit him, strong.

Straightening, I grabbed his hand in mine. The second my skin touched his, an electric shot ran through me. Sending a shiver up my spine.

What is this guy doing to me?

I've never felt anything like this before.

He cleared his throat, pulling my attention.

Shit, I haven't told him my name.

Taking a breath, buying myself a second to remind myself to consider my answer.

With the way he makes me feel, it wouldn't surprise me if I slipped up and gave him my real name. Something I can't afford to do.

"Zoey Williams."

His smile grew as I spoke, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Zoey, it suits you."

Butterflies fluttered around my chest as my name slipped through his lips. The way he said it, as if he were trying to caress the word.

"I was wondering when your shift ends?"

My heart skipped a beat as I realised what he was asking, he couldn't be could he?