cxlii. ghost (part iv)

HANGE'S POV 7 YEARS AGO

"Are you really sure about this?" Moblit questions, sticking his head in the door as he glanced around the apartment one last time. "That's a big change. And I thought you liked this place."

"I do," I argue with a small sigh. "It's just... some neighbors. I've been irritating them a bit too much and the complaints have started to rack up. I think I should just go before I make anybody too mad."

"Come on, that's on them!" Moblit urges, motioning towards the hallway. "You should be able to stay here as long as you want-"

"I have stayed as long as I wanted." I interrupt, holding my hand out to shush the blond. "I just don't wish to disturb anybody. And anyways, I've found a place that's closer to the lab. It's an improvement, really."

"I hope so." The man lets out a worried nod as he leans closer. "This was a really nice place. At the very least, I guess I can be glad that you were able to find such a nice place for as long as you have."

"Yeah," I start. "It's been fun. I know I will miss it."

"Do what you want, I guess." Moblit shrugs. "I guess there's not much I can do to stop you."

"Of course not!" I scoff. "You'll never have any sort of control over me."

"Well okay, then!" Moblit laughs, throwing his hands in the air. "Do you need any help packing your things or-?"

"I've got it." I nod. "I'll be out by tonight so I wouldn't wish to burden you. All I have to do is pack a couple bags and move everything out to my car."

"What about all your furniture?" The man asks skeptically. "You're just going to leave it?"

"I'm not a big fan of the furniture that I've bought." I lied bashfully.

"You said you loved it-"

"I didn't want you to think that I needed you to go out and get me anything better." I nod. "Because I knew you would. That's who you are, Moblit. You're too good."

"I'll take it." The man laughs with a small shrug. "You're absolutely sure that you want me to go? I can stick by a little longer if you really want."

"What I want is for you to get your rest." I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "They've been keeping you for quite a while back at the lab, haven't they?" He nods. "I can only imagine how tired you must be. Please, get back home so you can rest. Don't worry about me, I've got all of this under control."

The truth was, I had nothing planned. All I knew was that I had to get out of this apartment. I could taste the annoyance spinning off of the apartment manager as she found all the money I had been making from my past couple experiments. Her hurtful gazes and abusive attempts at annihilating me have given me a message clear enough; I needed to get out of here.