IX

"ALL I DO THESE DAYS IS PATCH YOU UP AND HOPE THE NEXT TIME WE SEE EACH OTHER YOU AREN'T DEAD," SNARKED LAYLA MCINTOSH

The two women had a couple drinks between them. Layla was on her second glass of white wine from Trader Joe's and Stephanie was on her third...or fourteenth — counting was becoming a little too demanding at this point— sip of Tito's tequila.

Should they be drinking? Probably not. Should Layla be fixing up Stephanie's mouth wound whilst participating in said activity? Definitely not.

Were they doing it despite their better judgment? Oh, yeah.

"Here's the thing, Steph," said Layla. She sterilized the needle and thread. "I only know what my mom taught me—"

"—and in Nurse Mama McIntosh we trust," said Stephanie, smiling sheepishly.

"—and I'll let you know right now I'm not half as good as her so this might not be as neat as it should be."

Stephanie looked at her best friend, heart swelling at the expression of utmost concentration on Layla's rosy face.

"Don't worry, the scar'll add more character."

"Of course you'd crack a joke when I'm literally about to stitch up your mouth," She grabbed Stephanie's face gently, grimacing at the wound. "God, what happened to you?"

"I told you," said Stephanie. "Freak accident."

"You're such a bad liar."

"How do you know I'm lying?" inquired Stephanie, amused.

Layla sighed heavily before grabbing her phone and pulling up a shaky video clip. From the random noises and the gasps, Stephanie could make out her own silhouette being man-handled by the Joker, who had the knife stuck in her mouth.

"This was published on Gotham Daily an hour ago. Nine minutes later, you called."

Layla paused the video at the exact moment the person zoomed in to Stephanie's face, which showed them a blurry but obvious snapshot of her biting down on the knife like a crazed dog. Her best friend raised two skeptical blonde eyebrows.

"Okay, so I am a liar."

Layla cleaned her hands, an unreadable expression on her face. Stephanie would characterize it as a face one would make when they wanted to say something that would certainly ruin the general ambiance of the situation but was holding it back due to undisclosed reasons.

"What is it?" Stephanie asked bluntly. The young women were never ones to shy away from confrontation.

Layla picked up the needle.

"Nothing," She said, smiling weakly. "Just nothing."

Then she inserted the needle and Stephanie had to focus all of her attention on not fainting from the pain.