X

ACCORDING TO BIANCA, HER FAMILY HAD BEEN LIVING IN THE SAME APARTMENT COMPLEX FOR AS LONG AS SHE WAS ALIVE

"Really?" Asked Stephanie Carmichael who realized a split second later that Bianca's proclamation might be true; the girl was six years old and turned seven on November 7th, which she never neglected to remind Stephanie on a biweekly basis. However, Stephanie could never forget. She had the date on her calendar circled in red and decorated with pink hearts.

Although Bianca had knocked on "Miss. Stephanie's" door to timidly ask for plum yogurt, Stephanie invited her inside and shared her some chicken jollof she ordered from the local Nigerian eatery. She was glad Bianca chose lunch time to appear. It had become routine for them to talk to each other over some food, but not without some subtle maneuvering on Stephanie's part. She successfully switched up their meeting time due to the Joker's unruly visits. Now, she read Bianca a bedtime story at noon. Thankfully, the little girl had little qualms about the activity actually taking place at night. She seemed to enjoy afternoon naptime stories just as much.

"Where's your mom today?" Stephanie asked, chewing on her rice heartily.

"Mommy's working," informed Bianca.

Stephanie was a little less optimistic. Bianca's mother often came home late with sweaty hair and a dazed look in her eyes. Stephanie's father Matteo used to hang around a lot of addicts; Bianca's mother was unfortunately sharing the same characteristics.

"Yeah?"

"Mommy works really hard. She comes home and is very very sleepy! Like I am when you read to me Bride and Prejudice!"

"Pride and Prejudice, my darling," She corrected fondly. "What does your mommy do again?"

Bianca pondered Stephanie's question seriously, putting her fork down. "Um...I don't know," She finally shrugged. "But mommy says she has to go the wub and meet customers and please them."

"Right..." said Stephanie. "So is your mother in sales? Does she sell things?"

"Oh yeah. She sells a lot of things," nodded Bianca enthusiastically. "Mommy dances too. Mommy's a really good dancer."

At the mention of dancing, a lightbulb went off in Stephanie's mind.

Bianca's mother is a stripper!

"Bee," said the twenty-four year old. "Does your mom go to the club to work?"

"Yup," grinned the kid toothily. "She makes a lot of cash on the weekends."