II

SAL MARONI HAD ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR STEPHANIE CARMICHAEL, EVEN WHEN SHE DIDN'T WANT HIM AROUND

But then again, it wasn't like they had much of a choice. The two were half-siblings, and family meant the world to Sal. Although they were 15 years apart and Stephanie was born from his mother's one-night stand with a hitman in Marino's mafia, he had convinced Big Marino to keep her within the mafia walls. Sal himself took care of her.

She owed him, but now it seemed Sal wanted that favor cashed in.

The two half-siblings stood in front of a backdoor. Sal had on his grey fedora and matching suit. Stephanie wore clothes a little more casually; she had on jeans and a mint green top with spaghetti straps that fluttered in the wind.

"This is extremely suspicious," Stephanie told him.

"I never said it was clean."

"Clearly. You wanna tell me why we're in an alley in broad daylight?"

Sal rolled his eyes in response.

"Aren't you supposed to do shady business where no one can see it?"

"Do you ever stop asking questions?" He inquired, glaring at Stephanie with a familiar annoyed expression.

"Where are you taking me?" She pressed.

"Good riddance. Now I know why Mom wanted just one kid," Sal grumbled.

"Yeah. But she reconsidered after having you."

Sal laughed and then suddenly turned somber as he looked at the restaurant.

"What?" Stephanie asked.

"Just thinking. Do you still like Chinese food?"

She gave him a look, as if to say "really?".

"Great. Ladies first," Sal grinned mockingly, waving his half-sister in.

"Maroni!" A man with shoulder length black hair exclaimed in a thick European accent. When he saw Stephanie instead of Sal, he frowned. "The hell is this...?"

"Relax, Chenchen. She's with me."

"Stephanie," offered the caramel-haired beauty. She shook his hand firmly, making it a point to look this Chenchen in the eyes.