The Invitation

Have you ever just felt lost?

Like, you know that you're supposed to have some kind of purpose in this life, but for some reason you just can't figure out what it is?

I'm not really someone who likes being in the spotlight.

I'm happy to just fade into the background.

I don't like taking a lot of risks if I don't know where I'm going or what I'm doing.

It's like, I know that somehow I'm supposed to make some kind of difference but,

How can I do that if I don't know my path?

I'm not even sure that I truly know who I am yet...?

~ ~ ~

    "Vera, come here for a moment."

Upon hearing her mother's voice, Vera gets up and makes their way down the hall to the patients' room. Entering the room slowly, Vera looks around to see their mom standing next to a hospital bed, where a young girl sat with a cast around her knee and tears in her eyes.

"You called me?" they ask, politely.

"Yes. This is Jenny," Vera's mom, Noita replied, gesturing towards the girl on the bed. "She sprained her knee in gym class. I've already wrapped it in order to help with support but I want you to deal with whatever pain she may be feeling while I go get her crutches."

"Okay." As her mother leaves the room to get Jenny's crutches, Vera makes their way over and kneels down next to Jenny. "How are you feeling?" they ask.

"It really hurts, miss." The girl speaks with a soft tone, as if it were painful to even form her sentence.

Vera's expression softens as they give her a sympathetic smile.

"I'm sorry you're in pain. Let me see what I can do for you."

A simple healing spell was usually successful at dealing with this kind of pain and luckily, it was a spell that Vera had done almost a hundred times by now. She places both of her hands around Jenny's injured knee and closes her eyes to concentrate. Taking a deep breath, her hands begin to heat up and a white light encompasses the knee. They hold their breath for a few seconds before finally letting it out as the light begins to fade away. After the light disappears, Vera removes her hands and looks back up at Jenny, whose eyes have lit up.

    "How did you do that, miss?" Jenny asks, enthusiastically trying to move her knee.

    "I used a healing spell. It didn't get rid of the injury so you should still be careful but it should definitely keep the pain under control until it gets better."

    Jenny smiles brightly from ear to ear, before reaching to give Vera a hug. They return her smile and complete the embrace, their heart feeling warmer. It was always so fulfilling for Vera.. getting to see the joy in a child's eyes after being healed. They've helped their mother take care of many people but they definitely have a soft spot for children.

At that moment, Noita walks back into the room carrying a pair of crutches. She and Vera help Jenny to get up and balance on them, briefly showing her how to use them before Noita takes Jenny back to her mother, leaving Vera to clean up and close the clinic.

"It was nice meeting you, miss!" Jenny calls back to Vera before leaving.

"It was nice meeting you too, Jenny. Take care of yourself, alright?" they say with a smile.