The Choice

Vera takes another breath before taking the rest of the mail from out of the mailbox and heading back inside. Closing the door behind them, they begin making their way over to their mom, who's sitting on the couch looking at her laptop. She looks up at Vera as she enters and gives what seems to be a sigh of relief.

"Oh good, you got the mail. I was about to call and ask you to bring it on your way back in," she says, reaching to take the papers out of Vera's hands. While her hands sift through the mail, Vera takes a sharp breath as she notices the open package and holds it up. "What's this?"

"I got a letter from the Guild Of Legends," Vera replies, voice shaking slightly. "They said that they're inviting me to enroll in their new Academy Program."

Vera watches for their mom's reaction, just like they've done their whole life. Noita's eyes light up.

    "This is such a great opportunity! Is this something that you want to do?" she asks, enthusiastically.

    Vera hesitates. The truth is, she doesn't know if this is what she wants. On one hand, it is a good opportunity that would make sense for them to take. Oneida would be a fresh start. They can take classes and learn from some of the biggest names in Izuora. They could make their mom proud and discover more about who they are, what they want, and what they're meant to do... and she knows that it sounds crazy to even think about passing it up because anyone else would love to have an opportunity like this but... how was she supposed to decide whether or not to move away from everything they'd ever known?

    "Vera?"

Her mother's voice shocks them out of their thoughts, bringing her back to reality.

    "Sorry," they say instinctively.

    "Why are you apologizing?"

    "I just... I don't... I don't want to leave you here." Feeling themself shaking, Vera holds on to her arms. Slowly, she lifts her head to look at their mom. "I don't know anyone in Oneida.. And what if I can't make any friends and just end up alone and isolated again?" They pause, tears forming in her eyes as they try to push away old memories. Her mom just continues to watch. Then before they can stop themself, they ask the question, "Do you think I'm ready, mom?"

Staying silent, Noita looks down at the letter and reads through it for a moment before scanning through the registration papers. Eventually she looks up at Vera with a sympathetic smile.

    "You always get nervous before a big change or challenge but you also always end up okay. I believe that the same applies here," she says, calmly.

Vera looks up at her, trying to watch her expressions but everything is drowned out by their own thoughts.

    I'm scared.

    I don't want to leave.

    I don't want things to change.

Then she hears her mother speak again.

    "Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to start filling these out for you. So all you need to do is go and think about what you really want without letting fear get in the way. If you decide that this is something you want, we'll finish filling these out together and send them back in the mail. If not, then we'll tear them up. But ultimately, it's your choice so I'm following your lead."

Her mom walks back towards the kitchen, opens a drawer and grabs a pen before walking back in Vera's direction.

    "Why don't you sleep on it?" she suggests. Vera softly agrees. Her mother kisses her forehead and says, "Goodnight, love," before going to her bedroom, leaving Vera alone in the family room once again.