vii. the mindflayer is back

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐀 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐓 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌 in the mall to hide in

            𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐀 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐓 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌 in the mall to hide in. Seated on a wooden stool, Mike expressed concern, leaning toward Jackie, who sat cross-legged on the floor. "Are you sure you want to look for them? What if you waste your energy?" he inquired, a hint of uncertainty in his expression. Jackie exhaled, meeting his gaze with a reassuring 'I will be okay' look.

"I'll be okay, Mike," Jackie reassured, her voice steady. She picked up a black tie she had taken from a store minutes earlier, securing it around her head to blindfold herself. Mike observed with a concerned expression as Jackie's concentration deepened. Soon, a trickle of blood emerged from her nose, indicating her entry into the void.

In the void, Jackie opened her eyes to a surreal landscape. Spotting Dustin in the distance with a walkie-talkie in hand, she hastened toward him. His urgent voice echoed as he yelled about a code red to Kylie.

Jackie's eyes slightly widened at the mention of Kylie. "I see him," she informed Mike.

The Wheeler boy bit his lip, hesitating before asking, "W— What's going on?" Jackie, using concise words, explained, "He's talking to Kylie on the walkie... Something bad? Convince Store? The walkie dying. It looks like Dustin is in the mall... movie theater."

Furrowing his eyebrows, Mike noted Jackie's departure from her usual way of speaking. "Okay, Jackie. I think we shouldn't look for El," he suggested, a sense of concern underlining his words as they reassessed their priorities in the unfolding chaos.

"Why?" Jackie's inquiry carried a chilly tone, her confusion evident. Mike sighed, expressing concern, "You're draining yourself." Her fists clenched in frustration as she vehemently insisted, "I'm fine! I'm looking for El!" The intensity of her response left Mike with a shocked expression, grappling with the clash of emotions in the midst of their urgent mission.

Closing her eyes once more, Jackie felt the telltale sign of her nose bleeding from the other nostril, indicating the strain on her energy. When she reopened her eyes, expecting the void, she found herself in the cabin instead, a shift in her surroundings raising concerns about the toll her efforts were taking.

As Jackie furrowed her eyebrows, she discovered El sitting at the table. "El?" she called out, prompting El to sprint over in relief, embracing her in a tight hug. "Jackie, oh my god! Where have you been?!" El questioned with evident worry. Smiling weakly, Jackie responded, "I— It's a very long story. I'll explain everything later. What's happening? Where are we?"

What Jackie remained unaware of was the reality of her hyperventilation. In the tangible world, Mike attempted to shake her awake, urging her to remove the blindfold, but all efforts proved futile. With Jackie in his arms, Mike hoped for her to calm down and awaken from the mysterious state she had entered.

"We're in the cabin, but not exactly. I think.. I think it's a memory?" El speculated, her words carrying a sense of uncertainty. Jackie thinned her lips, absorbing the peculiar nature of their surroundings. Suddenly, Billy's voice reverberated through the air, calling out to them. "Oh, El, Jackie." El perked up, and Jackie focused, narrowing her eyes at the doorway. They watched in a mixture of curiosity and caution as Billy slowly turned and walked into the scene, the atmosphere thick with a blend of nostalgia and mystery.