This was the best day of my life

The cold air of Chicago slapped my face.I was doing my best to stay out of the weather but with a job like ours we were constantly been called out to put up flood defences all around the city. A huge snow storm was working it's was across the country leaving no prisoners round here. We we're called out several times to house were the bottom level had completely flooded. It was awful seeing all these people lose precious belongings.
"Lily we're going for a ride okay ten minutes find Gallo." Casey said running backwards out of the kitchen. I made my way into mess searching for Gallo he was probably in the locker. I circled the whole house but Gallo didn't seem to be anywhere. That was until I saw Violet leaving the cloak room and Gallo sheepishly in tow.
"Hey you good," I wondered.
"Yeah I'll tell you later," Violet assured me giving my arm a tight squeeze.
"Gallo wheels up in five okay,"
I went straight into where both of my friends had appeared from gathering my gear and heading to the drivers seat.
Once everyone else had arrived Casey sprinted and opened the door to the passages seat.
"Where we going Captain?"
"Broadshaw I wanna talk to the neighbours of the fire we responded to last week somethings off."
" you got it Cap rolling out."

•••
"So what do you think this is about," Gallo asked.
"Better not question it the Captain doesn't look so bright today," Mouch warned him. Mouch liked to believe he had the gift of intuition for a matter of fact he spoke about things other people notice and seemed not to voice.
Mouch was one of the Longest running firefighters at 51 he'd been there for 20 years.
When I was young he would spend hours teaching me about the ins and outs of the fire house. He one of my dad closest friends he was best man at my parents wedding. Which happened to be one of the best day of my life, I ate so much cake it was unimaginable, it was also the day that Kelly and I solidified our friendship spending the whole day terrorising guests with water guns.
••••
After shift ended I quickly made my way over to the academy to meet Chief Radar before I took part in under water rescue run through.
I walked as fast as could down the badge lined walls passing a couple of familiar faces.
I knocked on the door and Chief Radar invited me in. His office was huge windows trapped from ceiling to floor looking out across the marina.
Radar was a stocky man with broad shoulders.
His hair was shaved back to the root but his beard had grown longer than people would presume.
  " Jamie Lily truck 81 right," he asked gesturing for me to take seat opposite. He grabbed several files and placed them in-front of him.
"That's me!" I responded a little to cheerful as he took his seat.
"I don't know if Chief Boden had mentioned it but I've taken a personal interest in your application for squad. I think you have an exemplary record!" Wow now that was amazing Radar was one of the best firefighters on the force and I couldn't quite believe those words had left his mouth I was speechless.
" I've also had a look at you application and I don't see why you would ever be considered for rejection.Squad needs people like you Lily. You know you have that special type of get up and go it's inspiring."
"Thank you so much Chief."
"I am recommending to chief Jenkins that you have you have an early entry to training. I believe that it would be pointless to leave it any longer. We want firefighters out there that we can rely on that the public can rely on squad is the best of those people."
I must have been the happiest women in the world right that second. Everything really had come to together finally I was been given the chance to demonstrate what I was made of.
Leaving the chiefs office I was sky high I had never felt better in my life. If my dad could see me now I knew he'd be proud but I'd have to wait to inform him of any achievements there's not much signal in the middle of the ocean.

I decided the best person to call was Kelly....

" Kelly hey you'll never guess I just spoke to chief Radar he's bumping me up the list I start training next week I'm gonna be on Squad."

" That's amazing Jamie we gotta celebrate okay
just you and me yeah Stella's working so let's grab a pizza watch the hockey I'll even let you beat me on the basketball machine," he chuckled
"I always beat you on the basketball game alright I'm way better than you!"
"What never?"
"Pizza sounds good I'll be there in a bit yeah."
"Yeah see you in a bit,"
Once I arrived home Kelly informed me that the pizza would be her sound so I head upstairs to change. I decide on pair of grey joggers and an oversize band tee-shirt.Then I made my way back down stairs the smell of pepperoni and salami infused my sense. God I loved take out! Whatever it was if it being order I'm there no matter what. You could say I'm a big foody but that would be a massive understatement.